The Most Wonderful Time of the Year | Teen Ink

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

October 18, 2011
By Anonymous

“We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year!” voices chant just like birds sing. The mall is like a traffic jam of people as they scramble to find the perfect gifts. The line of mothers and children snakes around the building as they are anxious to get that picture on Santa’s lap.
The ground is covered by a white blanket and clear sheets of ice dangle from rooftops. Men climb ladders to hang rainbow bulbs from their trees and houses while children giggle and create snow angels and snow men. Three milky white spheres sit on top of one another with chocolate cookies for the eyes, a carrot for the nose, and red licorice for the mouth. The rumbling of snow blowers and the scraping of shovels echoes throughout the neighborhood. A little boy opens his mouth to catch a star-shaped snowflake on his tongue.
Inside each house, the fireplace is on. Hot chocolate and warm apple cider are being poured into mugs for the children. Mothers rush to wrap gifts with forest green and tomato red wrapping paper before setting them under the tree. The tree’s needles are sharp as knives. A heroic angel rests at the top of the tree, glowing brighter than the summer sun. Scarlet stockings hang from the fire place, ready to be filled with toys and candy.
Kids lay in their beds, unable to sleep. They are anxious for the crack of dawn, when they can jump out of bed and tear the wrapping paper off their presents. They imagine the distant bells jingling from Santa’s sleigh, Rudolph’s red nose leading the way. The plate of cookies and the cold glass of milk rests on the kitchen table with a note thanking Santa for stopping by. Christmas, as many say, really is the most wonderful time of the year.