Being Me This work is considered exceptional by our editorial staff.

See that girl over there? She’d do anything to fit in. Shame she won’t, no matter how hard she wishes. She sticks out like a sore thumb. Doesn’t stop her trying though.

See that girl over there? The one who’s wearing the exact same clothes as her friends, with the exact same brands? She’s still trying to fit in. She’s slowly fitting the mould, but not completely. Not yet.

See that girl over there? The one who’s wearing the tops with brand names splayed across them and Vans, but looks slightly uncomfortable? It’s almost as if she doesn’t actually like them. But that can’t be the truth. Why would anyone wear clothes they don’t like? What, for the sake of popularity? But then, that girl does want to fit in.

See that girl over there? The one who’s laughing and smiling with her friends, but is an almost imperceptible distance away from them? She’s trying to fit in, but not as much. All those brand clothes are expensive. She sometimes goes for weird tops she can afford, but can’t bring herself to stop wearing her Hollister tops. Not yet.

See that girl over there? The one getting mocked by her friends for renouncing the clothes that meant being popular, but now signifies being a sheep? She’s selling her tops on eBay, and designing tops herself, not choosing to promote somebody else’s brand.

See that girl over there? The one wearing those outlandish t-shirts, bright blue skinny jeans and scuffed inked trainers? Yeah, that’s right, the one who wanted to fit in. The one who was destined to do anything but. Her ‘friends’ aren’t her friends anymore. Apparently, it’s embarrassing to be seen with someone who dresses like a freak. The girl disagrees with that. To her, it’s embarrassing to be someone who dresses like everybody else-to be no more than a follower.

See that girl over there? The one selling t-shirts out of her bagpack? She’s sold 40 already. She was up till 2.AM, painstakingly drawing each design on every one. Not one of them is the same.

See that girl over there? The one getting a compliment on her t-shirts every 2 minutes as she passes people that are wearing them? Her tops are being sold in Urban Outfitters as we speak.

See that girl over there? The one with the slightly amused expression as she watches the group of clones sidle up to her, and act all friendly after nearly 6 months of freezing her out? She listens patiently as the girls tell her all she’s missed, who got with who, who broke up with who. They slip in the latest trend too, hoping she’ll take their subtle advice. They say that it will make her ‘more like them’, as if it were a privilege. The girl gives them a look a mother would give naïve children. She takes off her jacket, and shows them her shirt. It says: ‘COMFORMITY WAS NEVER REALLY MY THING’. And with that, she walks away,

WhenItRains21 said...
Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:02 pm:
Really great. It felt like it was written honestly and from the heart. I also liked the repetition of the paragraphs as the story progressed. Great job!  

DanielM. said...
That was an awesome Poem. I really liked your message its so real. Everybody grows up with this mentaility that we have to be someone werent not but if we looked in the mirror and actually paid attention to how we are acting we would actually realize that being fake isnt the best option. Great Message!

DaLemon said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:47 am:
Ohhh snap!! :) I loevd this, because its sooo true. So many people try to be something they're not for the sake of "popularity" What is that anyways? Becoming something just so others like a FAKE you? I don't see the point; people will actually like the REAL you, if you give them the chance. Conformity has never been my thing ;)

Firetip This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 11:46 am:
sha-bam. WIN. 5/5 <3 I love the pattern of, "see that girl over there?" Keep rocking. :)

MercyChristineThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:54 am:

:D

I love this

<3

Enough said.

though you forgot the girl who goes to thrift stores, buys t shirts, cuts them up and makes them into something new :D

great work

yellowflower said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 7:50 pm:
I love this! My favorite part was the shirt reading "conformity was never really my thing" ~priceless! Your writing style is interesting, I want to read more!

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:26 am:
I like this a lot :)

AmaranthiniumThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 8:38 pm:
Great! The writing was good without being too fancy or bland, and the repitition worked very well. Like another commenter pointed out, it could have been more subtle, but you still make a very good, and very true, point.

AndRachelLovesyou said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 6:28 pm:
So I really like this idea, and absolutely loved the style of repetition for each paragraph. I think you did a good job with it. One small criticism is that the theme was very obvious from the start. Even if the writing was good, it wasn't very subtle. You also spent a lot of time explaining, I would give my reader a chance to figure it out. (Just my opinion, feel free to ignore it)

AlwaysAbditive said...
Feb. 19, 2012 at 10:18 am:
I really like this. It's so true and so emotional. I liked how your style and format was really unique. Great job :)

SteelJam said...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 6:46 pm:
I love how you showed the girl's journey. A lot of the time, people will just show a quick before and after, but this was excellent!

youngpilotThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 18, 2012 at 3:35 pm:
An excellent way of showing the difficulty someone might have fitting it, and how individuality is special, and not something that should be disgarded. I am from the states, so I am thinking the two "mistakes" I would have caught are truely just differences in the language. Good job.

Supernova7 said...
Jan. 16, 2012 at 9:06 am:
I love the ending it was clever:) Great job keep on writing:)

Emiri said...
Nov. 6, 2011 at 9:00 am:
I like how u started each paragraph with the same sentence. And the change of the girl from weird, to a clone, then back to weird but confident. I especially like how u said she was destined to be different. :)now great work.

kingofwritersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Nov. 19, 2011 at 4:11 pm :

This is a great story; you're a really talented writer!

I loved the way you described how the girl was doing in each paragraph, and the whole story was very creative!

Great job! :)

Kvothe28 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I really liked this. The same beginning to each sentence as the girl slowly grew into someone unique was cool. Congradulations on the editor's choice! =)

Garnet77 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 31, 2011 at 10:01 am:
Wow. I really, really love this. The imagery was perfect. And I love the repitition at the beginning of each paragrpah. Also, very powerful ending. great job :)

AntWrangler13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Oct. 25, 2011 at 7:48 am:
Thanks! I will :D

AntWrangler13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 25, 2011 at 7:49 am :
That was to CaeCae97, meant to reply to her comment :/ :P

RayBaytheDinosaur said...
I love this, its so inspiring =D it really shouldve made the magazine