Blackbirds & Kisses | Teen Ink

Blackbirds & Kisses

By RebeccaJoy DIAMOND, Springville, New York
RebeccaJoy DIAMOND, Springville, New York

"Sometimes it's kinda fun to do the impossible." -Walt Disney
"Go live your dream"-Disney's Tangled

Silvery flakes drifted down, glittering in the bright light of the harvest moon. The shadows of the tombstones get lost in the fog. The blackbird cried out to its friends, and they came to feast. The brass fence squeaked as the rusted chains clanged, spooking the birds. Paige laughed to herself as she witnessed the creatures flee. They looked like ravens or crows, how appropriate for a graveyard. Paige walks through the memorizing labyrinth of headstones. She knows where each body sleeps and where each divot of the Earth lays. As she nears her brothers new home she holds her breath. Visiting Greyson’s bed that is now six feet under has become routine. Tonight is different thought. Its Greyson’s favorite holiday, Halloween. They had always made plans to get sweets from their neighbors. This year Paige couldn’t bare to go trick-or-treating by herself. She knew that her twin had loved all the decorations seen during October so she brought some for his grave. Paige gingerly placed a petite pumpkin to the left, and then draped orange and black carnations on the top of his grave. As she reminisced on the previous Halloweens with Greyson tears pooled by her muddy shoes. It’s almost midnight and she wants to spend more time with her brother, but there is a crew few. Paige knew that added stress to her mother would only worsen the situation, so she gathered herself and headed for the entrance. She turns back to the grave, and blows a kiss to her deceased twin brother. On the walk home she spots a pile of birds fighting for the best parts of what used to be a fox. She wondered if they could be the same blackbirds from the cemetery.