Give Me Your Purse

Leukemia…

That was what would make my firefly life shorter. Maybe, this was where my story would end—I would die. When the doctor told me about it, I wasn’t dumb enough to be unable to translate what he said into a simpler term: goodbye. People said it could make you more prone to infections but leukemia couldn’t kill you by itself. All I could say was that those people were dumb.

Anyway, I would be lying if I said I knew something about that disease. In fact, all I knew about leukemia was that it was blood cancer. Oh, that’s not all. It was what killed my friend and it was what caused my father to suffer. The doctor said that there were types of leukemia and he told me what was mine. But I didn’t pay attention to it because no matter what happened, it was still leukemia. Blood cancer. Serial killer.

The night was dark. Of course, nights were always dark. But it wasn’t what I was talking about—the moon wasn’t bright enough for me and the stars that were supposed to be hung up in the sky were out of sight. The lampposts and the fireflies that reminded me of my life length were the only sources of light I had.

Bending down, I picked up a rock and sat on a bench. The park was deserted. So I was alone—except for the fireflies and the chilling cold of the night. Gripping the rock, I tried to see if I could break it into ashes with my palm before it could make me bleed—I tried to see if I could fight against cancer before it could kill me…

Pain made its way into my palm and I knew it—I lost!

Sighing, I looked to my right to see a silhouette of a man from afar. Realization—that he was walking toward me—hit me. That was when I stood up from the bench… and ran. Before I could reach a distance, a big, masculine hand grabbed my arm and it was instinct that made me scream.

“Keep quiet.” His other hand was holding a knife that was aimed toward my throat. If he would kill me in a second, it was better than leukemia who would torture me before I died. Still, it was terrifying. “Keep quiet.”

That was when our eyes met, brown to brown. His features were that of a prince a little girl would ask for. And we were staring into each other like a boy-meets-girl-and-the-world-seemed-to-stop movie scene. Could it be that this man was my prince?

He raised the knife higher, aiming exactly where my pulse was. “Give me your purse.”

“What?” It shouldn’t actually have surprised me. Maybe, not if I wasn’t dumb enough to think of him as my prince charming. Of course, he would kill me without second thoughts.

“I said ‘give me your purse.’” When I didn’t make a move, he made me feel the steel, light enough not to make me bleed. “Now.”

Frantically, I gave him my purse. Taking it from my hand, he squared me in the eyes… and ran away. I sighed and tried to relax my heart beat. Too bad, leukemia would still have someone to play with.

Lacer said...

This is a VERY touchy subject, but you've handled it very well. You obviously know your subject matter and research. As for it being about a disease, I think you didn't have to go so in depth about what leukemia is and what it does. Stephen King can make up a disease and say "it eats you from the inside, like a small little rat nibbling at your heart", and it's more effective. That may be my particular aversion to disease, me being a Christian Scientist (no, it is NOT scientology) and not bel... (more »)

IAmWhoIWantToBe replied...
Whoa! Thank you for pointing out everything that needs pointing out. Thank you! I'll try to work on those. :)))

Tink1350 said...
I love the thing you wrote about the rock. It was great, very creative. ;) great work.

TouchOfARose said...
I really enjoyed the vagueness concerning the age and gender of the main character. I guess, in part, it made it easier to connect and empathize with her.
Also, the overall metaphor that Leukemia is something corporal and malevolent is a very innovative way to put it. I honestly can't find a single error in this. It really is amazing! This story is ...deep, and yet comparable to things that we would recognize, like a Homeric Simile.  (:

IAmWhoIWantToBe replied...
Thank you for the criticism. :)

Keilazia replied...
This is a good article! Read mine please, and tell me what you think about it.

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
Nov. 16, 2011 at 9:11 am
This is kind of depressing (but I guess it's supposed to be) and some of the wording is very nice, good job :)

RayBaytheDinosaur said...

strange way to think of a purse snatcher, but very unique lol xD

Steph0804 said...
Oct. 2, 2011 at 4:10 am
This is so powerful... leukemia is such a terrible disease. I love how the narrator sees the attacker not as a criminal, but as a way to end the suffering of leukemia before it even begins, and for a second, she even considers him romantic ;)

kingofwriters replied...
This is a good story; I liked it! It was pretty creative how she imagined the purse snatcher before he really DID steal her purse. Great job! :)