Blink of an Eye | Teen Ink

Blink of an Eye

By Drewby SILVER, Beecher, Illinois
Drewby SILVER, Beecher, Illinois

"To be or not to be, that is the question-" William Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act III Scene I

It happens so fast, almost in the single blink of an eye. We are born onto this Earth of antipathy and dismay, only to ne taken off by the most random and awful thing, that strikes feelings of fear into oneself. This would be the outline for the perfect tragedy of Shakespearean magnitude. A tragedy that would be so depressing and so mortifyingly true, that it would bring us to think that anything could happen in the next ten minutes.
My friend, whom I knew as long as I could remember, was a tragic victim of this tragedy. He was killed only thirty minutes after I was done having a humorous and effervescent conversation with him. He was talking and laughing like he didn't know what was going to happen to him in a mere half an hour. He didn't know what was going to happen.
He gives me a warm smile; looking at me with his bright peach-colored face, that could bring a smile onto anyone that comes within its beautiful snare. "So I give a smile to the teacher," he said, "and he gives me a B plus on the test."
I laugh at that comment as he made the bright smile that he, supposedly, flashed the teacher to get a good grade on his test.
"Are you serious?" I asked him sounding moderately surprised.
"I'm true as the deep blue," he said. "Well I have to get back home and make my mom dinner."
"Alright," I said. "I'll catch you at school."
With that, he pushed in his chair and headed out of my kitchen, into the world. Little did I know, that was the last time I would ever see him again.
Death came to him, in the form of a car. It struck him down and broke his neck. He was dead the instant he hit the ground. I remember being so heartbroken, that I had thoughts of committing suicide. But I couldn't bring myself to do the deed. It sent cold shivers up my spine, when I think about how my friend died. Now it brings me to think: What's going to become of me? Irony is like a disease; it could strike when a person least expects it. I now realize that I'm only here for a few blinks and I have to enjoy the time I have, before I become the another tragedy.

I hope people realize that they're time on earth is slowly dying and they should enjoy life, here and now.