Song Vignette: Iridescent | Teen Ink

Song Vignette: Iridescent

By TheEldritchPrince SILVER, Stockbridge, Georgia
TheEldritchPrince SILVER, Stockbridge, Georgia

Logic is not flawless

Soot fell around him. He looked to his left, and he saw only bodies of men and machine. He got up and dusted himself off. It was cold, so very cold. He looked at the broken buildings around him, and started crying.

Having found shelter, he started looking for food. As he looted a local grocer, he found he forgot what city he was in. So he asked himself a sarcastic question. "Do you feel cold and lost in desperation?" He sighed, grabbed a load of food to shove into a shopping cart, and left.

As he returned to his current makeshift dwelling, he started to patch up a radio. It was old, but had to function, right? It crackled to life for a moment, but then died on him. He looked out of a window frame, and saw it begin to rain heavily.

On the way back from his next scavenging trip, he saw his dwelling collapse. He cried again, soaking wet, freezing cold and now homeless. He had tried his best, and failed.

He was now living in the blasted out wasteland for a few weeks, and was starved, malnourished, and still having to move form place to place as his impromptu homes fell apart. His life was hard, but he survived. As he went to one of the grocers to collect supplies, he saw it collapse. He cried, as now one of his few sources of food was gone. He turned and walked by a ruined plane, using it as his current shelter.

Today, he saw someone. As he went to investigate, it turned into a statue. He left, dejected, and took a nap. When he awoke, part of the plane fell on him, pinning his leg. He struggled to get free, but was too exhausted and malnourished to succeed. He fell, and blacked out.

When he came to, another part of the plane fell on him, puncturing his lung. He saw blood pool around him, and then heard a helicopter. As the medics surrounded him, tried to pull him free, he saw his vision fading fast, and realized that ever seen he got stranded in this city, all he knew was failure. He cried one last time, and decided to let it go. Those were the last words he croaked out. The medics tried to save him, but too much blood had spilled.

Inspired by the song of the same name by Linkin Park. Anyone who's heard the song off the CD A Thousand Suns should know how accurate this is to the song.