The watching girl

I saw the girl first at school. She stood looking out the window, out over the schoolyard. It was before class started and everyone stood around in groups talking. I was with my friends too, but I wasn't really listening to what they were saying. Because I was focused on the girl. She was
the only one in the hallway to stand alone. I wondered why she was alone. Didn't she have any friends?
My friends noticed I wasn't paying attention, and asked what I was looking at. "Nothing," I replied, taking my eyes off the girl, "just daydreaming. Sorry, what were we talking about?" When I got the chance to look up again, the girl had disappeared.

The next time I saw the girl was at the mall. She stood at the railing near the food court, looking down at all the people scuttling around the fast food places and kiosks. She was leaning on her elbow, and I was about to go over to her when I remembered that my mom wanted me home by noon and, looking at my phone, I realized it was already 12:30. I gave the girl one more look before I headed off to the parking lot.

When I finally saw her again, it was months later. We were at school again. I could see her more clearly now, as it was lunch time and she was watching over the entire cafeteria on a balcony thing. Her hair was long and mud brown, and the girl herself was shorter than average. She was wearing a red sweatshirt, unzipped and showing a grey t-shirt. I wondered why she didn't eat with the rest of the students.

Pointing her out to my friend Kami, I asked, "Have you seen that girl around school before?"

"What girl?" Kami asked. I looked back up at the balcony where the girl had been standing, but no one was there anymore.

"She was standing up there on that balcony near the stairs," I said, and then continued to describe the girl to my friend. Kami shook her head.

"I don't think I've ever seen that girl before. Is she new?"

"Not as far as I know. I saw her here a couple months ago here at school and once at the mall too."

After that Kami promised to keep an eye out for the girl and find out who she was. Meanwhile, the topic was dropped and we went back to the topic of Kami's new converse shoes.

Several weeks later the first semester ended and the second started. The watching girl, as I had come to think of her, was in my new math class. She sat in the back of the room and never asked questions or did homework with friends during work time. I decided one day to go talk to her and see if she would do the work with me. When I walked over to her desk I smiled warmly.

"Hey, what's your name?" I asked. She just looked up at me and stared. She blinked and didn't say a word. I tried again. "Do you want to work on homework with me?" Still she said nothing. I sighed and went back to my seat to work alone.

After school that day I called Kami and told her about the watching girl in my math class.

"Well did you find out her name?" Kami asked excitedly.

"She didn't really say anything to me at all," I replied. The conversation afterwards was short until she told me she had to do her homework and we hung up. I sat on my bed a while and wondered who the girl was. Maybe she was a mute. Maybe that was why she had no friends and didn't talk. Or maybe she was deaf. But there wasn't an interpreter in the class, so that couldn't be it. I decided I'd just have to get to know her to find out.

Day after day I tried to get her to talk to me in math during work time. But the watching girl never talked, no matter what I tried. All I wanted was to be her friend! Did she have something against me? No, she didn't talk to anyone else either. I didn't know how to figure this out. Just as I was thinking this, my math teacher declared work time and called me over to his desk.

"Jezza, after this period the guidance counselor would like to meet with you. Here's a slip out of your next class, and you can go right to the counselor's office. Now you can go back to work." Curious, I nodded and headed back to my seat, wondering what in the world the guidance counselor would want me for. It seemed like seconds later when the end-of-class bell rang.

I made my way through the crowded hallway, feeling watched as I entered the door to the counselor's room. She smiled at me as I cautiously walked in and sat down.

"Hello there Jezza. I assume you know why you're here?"

I had no clue, so I shook my head.

"You're here because your math teacher noticed you...talking to yourself in his class. He informed me that you sounded as if you were talking to someone else. Is this true?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," I objected. "I've never talked to myself in any place."

"Really?" She looked interested. "Your teacher said that you went over to a desk in the back of the classroom and started talking to it as if someone was sitting there."

I shook my head stubbornly. "There was a girl there. She had long brown hair and blue eyes and she didn't talk at all. I've seen her around for months now."

Now the counselor looked concerned. "You've been seeing this girl for months? And you never told anyone?"

"I told my friend Kami about her a while back."

"And she didn't say anything?"

"The girl had gone away by the time she looked."

"I see."

There was a long pause. The guidance counselor nodded and wrote something down.

"You're free to go to your next class. I'm going to call your parents."

When I got home that day my mom told me that we would be going to the doctor.

"Why?" I asked.

"We just need to get you checked out to see if you're alright, honey," she replied.

They checked my head. They gave me tests that took hours. They poked me and prodded me and did all kinds of things to me until they had finally come to a verdict.

"You. Are. Schizophrenic."

"What does that mean?"

"You see people who aren't really there."

And this is what I have to live with. The watching girl.

drwholock101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 18 at 6:53 am:
That was really weird! But really good! Is schizophrenic a real thing? Or did you just make it up? Again, I really liked it!

RayynbowThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 18 at 8:13 pm :
Yes, Schizophrenia is a real thing (the people who have schizophrenia are called schizophrenic). It's a type of mental illness and one of the symptoms, the one I used in this story, is visual hallucinations. I don't really know the specifics of it very well, so if you want more information you should definately research it!

TheCapturedBatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Very well done. I love the description of the girl, the way she seems so real. What gave you the idea?

Oct. 25, 2013 at 6:30 pm :
I think that it might have been feeling alone myself, and I saw myself as the watching girl, although I wrote this so long ago that I honestly can't tell you for sure what my inspiration was.

CountryMusic said...
Wow! Well written, the turn at the end was great, I loved it!

Jappyalldayeveryday said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 8:19 am:
This is kind of creepy, but really good!

marchbutterfly said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 9:11 pm:
The story was really interesting. I love the ending, it was so unexpected.

MoraleAsh said...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 12:02 am:
Woah this is really good! The plot line is great with a good bang for the ending! My only suggestion is that you add a little more detail to spice it up, a little more imagery. Other than that, great job!

EtherealThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 5:26 am :
great Idea! the plot is twisted in a nice way, though I could see kind of what the "watching girl" was- great story though, I enjoyed it!

AhadHa-am said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 2:21 pm:
It'a an interesting story. Schizophrenia isn't all about hallucinations, but I do like the twist at the end, when you learn the girl is a hallucination.

Carpe--thehelloutofthat--DiemThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 27, 2013 at 10:46 am :
Yeah, sorry about that. I figured it would be easiest to keep it simple since it was the end. I should have put a disclaimer in the description of it that I don't know much about schizophrenia.

DinaTheDinasaur said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:41 pm:
Interesting twist, I've always been interested by schizophrenia..

flamestar said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 8:04 pm:
it was good but like Honor i could kind off guess that "The watching girl" was a ghost. i liked the flow of the stroy though.

HonorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 6:23 am:
It was a good, story, I could see where it was going, but it was good.

DifferentTeen said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:51 pm:
It was okay. I wasn't really captivated, and I had already figured out the ending about halfway through. I think you should continue though, and add some twists no one could predict. Like maybe the girl is someone that was murdered in her home over 50 years ago or something. That'd be intresting. OVerall it was good, keep writing!

koolwords said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:29 pm:
Hey, I liked this piece overall. The ending was nice, ad I have to agree with blitsnik that I could see where it was headed. I figured the main character was the only person who could see the girl, but I thought she might have been death or something watching and wating to take the person. So in a way I like that you kept it to the real world (because so much is fantasy right now). To me (because I like fantasy and science fiction and stuff like that) I thought that the real world twist was surp... (more »)

FluteFreak said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 4:13 pm:
This piece was very good (I liked the twist at the end) but I think you could make it better if you added more description to it.

blitsnik said...
Nov. 22, 2011 at 8:09 am:
I liked this one, though i could kinda see where it was going. Just a few places you might want to look over, like the first paragrapgh. It seems a bit choppy. And while i understand the last part, i dont thikn it really flows. The "You. Are. Schizophrenic." In my head it sounds better together. But great job i enjoyed reading it.

LivingMYLife said...
I really love it. Like alot!

CarrieAnn13 said...
Wow, that was very dramatic.  A bit more description would be nice, but there's always room for improvement.  The &quot thing is kind of annoying, but I know that's not your fault.  Excellent writing!