The Culture

I work at the hospital in charge of the infancy division at the hospital the N.I.C.U. the daycare and the nursery are what I am in charge of, even though the daycare goes through age 6. One day I was in the N.I.C.U.-which stands for Neonatal Intensive Care Unit so basically sick babies-I had been on a month’s vacation so when I saw a beautiful baby girl didn't recognize I looked at her info sheet. She had no name and a black line like an ugly scar worked its way down the side of her info sheet which meant she was not wanted by mom. I saw that sometimes in the nursery but never in the N.I.C.U. I looked her over and asked around, she was deaf and the second her parents found out they went to the fire station to drop her off but crashed on the way there. The cruelest of ironies, both parents lived though. So I adopted her, named her Angel, and took her home.
I knew some sign language because I have a friend who is also deaf so I would sign to Angel and as I learned more signs I also learned a lot about deaf culture and how they ‘hear’ the just do it differently. they use facial expressions in stead of high and low vocal tones