A Wink And A Smile | Teen Ink

A Wink And A Smile

By redeemed_love GOLD, Houghton, Michigan
redeemed_love GOLD, Houghton, Michigan

"I do not sit down at my desk to put into verse something that is already clear in my mind. If it were clear in my mind, I should have incentive or need to write about it. We do not write in order to be understood. We write to understand." C.S Lewis

She had been hurt. It was evident in the slightly guarded way she greeted him - her wide open smile and warm brown eyes drew him in, but as he responded with his trademark wink, her smile closed just a bit. He backed away at once, not wanting to scare this auburn-haired princess.

His wink was nothing like what she was used to. She had learned that winks meant "you're special", "I love you", "Don't ever leave me" ... that they were reserved for moments when words failed. And he just came up with a brazen wink...why was her heart suddenly lighter?

He watched her move about, a warm hug and conversation for everyone. She didn't look at him - almost seemed to make a conscious effort to keep her back to him.

As she went through the crowd, subtly moving toward him, she gathered her courage and shoved her past behind her. Watching him out of the corner of her eye. She suddenly saw everything he could give her - pure, untainted love and safety, everything she had been waiting for. She could start over. He would never hurt her like she'd been hurt before. Taking a deep breath, she walked up and stuck out her hand.

Caught by surprise, he jumped and laughed, taking her hand. He looked into her mesmerizing brown eyes. Then, so quickly he almost didn't catch it, yet after wondered how he could miss it, she winked.