The Butterfly People | Teen Ink

The Butterfly People

July 19, 2011
By Jesusisalive BRONZE, Neosho, Missouri
Jesusisalive BRONZE, Neosho, Missouri
3 articles 0 photos 14 comments

It was on that tragic evening that I first saw the Butterfly people. It was a normal Sunday evening. I was driving through town on my way to church. There was a look of severe weather in the sky, but I ignored it because I was to busy trying to get to church on time.

Suddenly, it started raining. It wasn't a soft, gentle rain. It was a hard, pounding, and persistent pour. Then, it struck. It started out as a small funnel, but as soon as it touched down, it grew into a raging monster. Trees, wood, houses, and people were flying everywhere. I panicked. I didn't know what to do. The funnel picked up my car and tossed it into the air. " Jesus, protect me!" I gasped as I closed my eyes in terror.

Suddenly, a sense of peace enveloped me. I opened my eyes and was filled with amazement. I saw people, yet they were not people, floating in the air. They were so bright it was hard to look at them. And they had wings that were made of the fullest and whitest feathers I have ever seen. As I watched in wonder, I realized that they were carrying people into the sky. Then one of them looked at me, and I found that my car was now on the ground. The tornado was passed, and I was alive.

The reality of the disaster set in when I looked around. People lay dead on the street, buildings were demolished, and I heard screams for help. I rushed to a pile of rubble and started digging for people. I could hear them faintly crying out for someone to rescue them.




.................................................................................


It was a week later. Support had showed up from all over the country. People from states away had come to search for survivors and to help in any way they could. Stories of survival popped up all over. Many people praised God for protecting them.

Yet, the stories that had the most impact on me were the ones the children told. They talked not of terror and fear. They told of feeling safe and protected because the Butterfly people were watching and smiling at them. It is the childrens' stories that hit me the hardest. These are true and simple stories of what they saw. It is because of them I know that I did not imagine the things that I saw. The Butterfly people were real. God had sent them to rescue His children, and also to carry some of them home to be with Him.

Children describe some things in the most astounding ways. And in my heart, I believe that this is one of the most beautiful ways to describe the angels of God. The Butterfly people.

The author's comments:
This is based loosely on the May 22nd tornado in Joplin Missouri. I heard a story of where 2 children said that they saw butterfly people.