Love Is A Strong Word | Teen Ink

Love Is A Strong Word

July 17, 2011
By Anonymous

Chapter One


You learn new things everyday. Sometimes the easy way, but more often the hard way. It’s easy to fall for the “perfect” boyfriend, but is he really what you were looking for? Questions like this haunt me all the time. I often find myself wondering if I’ll ever meet the right guy for me. After my last relationship, I have a hard time of falling in love with other guys, other than Nate. Every morning, I wake up thinking of him. Every night, I go to bed thinking of him. My love for him was and still is so strong, even if we’re over and done with. I used to think love was too strong of a word to be used so lightly, but once you meet the right guy, you know when love should be used to describe your feelings for him. This is my story, but it’s not just my story that makes it special. It’s the true feelings that go along with it.

It was the first day of school. Back to my regular routine. Wake up. Shower. Do my hair. Get dressed. Eat breakfast. Brush my teeth. Yuck. I threw on my brand new chocolate brown Coach sneakers and grabbed my hot pink Betsey Johnson bag off of the kitchen counter.

“Bye, sweetie! Have a good day at school!” I heard my mother call as I closed the front door. I opened the heavy door to my pearl white Range Rover that I had received as a gift from my parents for my sixteenth birthday last month and threw my new backpack in the passenger seat, positioning myself at the wheel.

When I finally arrived at school, after a jam of cars that seemed to not be budging throughout the center of town, I raced to get to my homeroom on time.

“Jazmine? Jazmine D’Alessandro?” The teacher called off my name from the attendance, just as I rushed into the classroom.

“Here,” I said quietly, trying to find an empty seat. I looked around the classroom, half embarrassed and half worried. I scanned the room and my eyes made contact with a new boy.

“There’s a seat right here,” The new boy spoke with a deep, friendly voice. I quickly rushed over to where he was pointing, right next to him. I sat down.

“Thanks,” I said, my face bright red.

“Anything for a girl as cute as you,” He smiled at me, and that’s when I first noticed how cute he was. I felt so relaxed around him, something I haven’t felt in a while. I smiled back.

“Nathaniel Ericson?” The teacher continued to call names off her list.

Everyone turned around and searched the classroom for the person with the unfamiliar name.

“Uh, you can call me Nate,” Again, the new boy spoke. Everyone looked him up and down, probably already trying to judge if he was
“popular” material. That was the problem with my school. All anyone cared about was popularity and ranks. I’m no captain of any cheering squad, but I’d consider myself popular, with many friends and ex boyfriends.

I turned to evaluate Nate again, when we made awkward eye contact. Nate smiled and waved.

“Hi, I’m Nate.” He greeted me, his big, full lips, curling, trying to fight back yet another smile.

“I’m Jazmine,”

We talked for awhile before class started and got to know each other. I learned that he had moved from California to Massachusetts because he was having personal problems and had to let go of his modeling career. As he spoke, I noticed he kept his gorgeous blue eyes fixed on mine the whole time. His eyelashes were so long and thick, which made his eyes really vibrant looking. He had short hair. A buzz cut, which was light brown, and his cheeks were rosy red. I adored his big dimples on either cheek and his small diamond earrings.

When my first class ended, I quickly rushed out of the classroom to get to my next class. I was midway to second period when I noticed Nate seemed lost.

“Jazmine! Hey!” He raced over to me, trying to catch up.

“Hey, Nate.” I knew I was going to be late for my next class, but it didn’t seem important to me at that moment.

“Do you know where Mr. Amarato’s classroom is?” He asked, seeming a bit nervous.

“I’m actually heading there now. You can walk with me if you want,” I tried to act as if I didn’t care that he was in my next class, but deep down, I was extremely excited.

By lunch, I had noticed I had every class with Nate so far, and now we even had lunch together. I sat at my usual spot, with all of my cheerleading friends and the football players, who were already in a deep conversation about Nate.

“Have you guys seen the new kid, Nathaniel?” My friend, Kristina asked. “He’s totally-”

Just then, Nate popped out of nowhere.

“Call me Nate and I’m totally what?” He seemed paranoid.

“Cute,” Kristina was always very honest with people. Sometimes this was a good thing, other times, not so much.

“Oh…thanks,” Nate awkwardly took a seat next to me. “Mind if I sit here?”

“Go right ahead,” I smiled and felt my face blush again.




When I got home from school, I was ecstatic. I went online and discovered a new friend request on facebook. I quickly clicked the red notication. Nate Ericson. Accept. Immediately, I got a chat pop up.

Nate Ericson: Heyy
Jazmine D’Alessandro: hii.
Nate Ericson: wadup

Jazmine D’Alessandro: just got home. You?
Nate Ericson: aw lol im just chillin. Thanks for helping me around schoolJ
Jazmine D’Alessandro: anytimeJ
Nate Ericson: J we should hang out sometime.
Jazmine D’Alessandro: Yeahh.
Nate Ericson: Friday? 7 oclock? Pizza and a movie?
Jazmine D’Alessandro: sounds goodJ
Nate Ericson is offline.


A million thoughts rushed through my head. Did I say something wrong? Was he joking around with me? Did he really want to hang out on Friday?



The next day at school, Nate approached me at my locker.

“Are we still on for tomorrow night?” He asked.

“Tomorrow’s Friday?” I totally forgot.

“Yeah, are we still on?”

“Oh, yeah,”

“Good,” Nate shot me a smirk and grabbed my books out of my locker. “C’mon, we’re gonna be late again,” He winked.

I couldn’t focus for the rest of the day. I kept glancing over at Nate, who was staring at me. I was secretly worrying to myself. Was he going to blow me off? What should I wear? Is this all a big joke? I noticed Nate’s face turn red every time we looked at each other at the same time, and felt a rush of self confidence. Did this model perfect boy really like me?
Chapter Two


It was Friday. Movies tonight with Nate. I was beyond excited. All throughout school, Nate and I argued over which movie we would see, and we finally agreed on a horror movie.

When school was over, Nate came over to my car.

“Where do you live?” He asked. “I’ll pick you up tonight at 7?”

I gave him instructions to my house. He nodded and we exchanged cell phone numbers. I entered his number into my phone immediately.


When I got home, I raced into my older sister’s room.


“Gianna, I need your help,” I explained my situation and she agreed to help me get ready.

Finally it was 6:45. Nate would be here in 15 minutes. My long blonde hair was straightened perfectly, with the ends flipped gently. I had a pair of short jean shorts on, dark wash, my favorite. Topped off with a white shirt that came from the store Bebe, which was written across my chest, in rhinestones. I put on my favorite pair of sandals and waited by the door.

7 on the dot, and Nate was pulling into my driveway. As I went to leave, I saw Nate get out of his car and come to the front door to get me. I closed the door and waited for him to come to the door. My mom, of course, rushed to the door and wanted to meet him. I was so embarrassed, but Nate didn’t seem to mind.

“Hi, you must be Mrs. D’Alessandro?” He politely greeted my mother. He was wearing a pair of dark wash jeans, as well, with a bright blue-green shirt, that made his eyes pop. He had a flat top, all white, Red Sox cap on and his white high top sneakers. I loved his style.


“Yes, and you are Nate?” My mom always wanted to meet my dates. They chatted for several minutes, before I asked Nate if he was ready to go.

“Nice meeting you,” Nate opened the door for me and we got into his small silver Acura TL.


We chatted for the whole car ride and I felt like I knew him forever. We listened to some pop songs on the radio and exchanged smiles every time we heard a part in the song that was just bubble gum crap.

When we got to the movies, Nate grabbed my hand. My stomach filled with butterflies. We bought our tickets and took a seat in the back of the theater.

“Don’t you just hate commercials?” Nate said playfully. “They bore me,”


I laughed and he put his hand on my knee.

It was halfway through the movie when I noticed Nate had put his arm around me. I was so comfortable with him and felt so safe. I knew from then on, he was the right guy. Or so I thought…


Chapter 3


The next few weeks of school were difficult. I tried to focus, but I couldn’t. My grades were still good, but I felt myself start to focus more on Nate. We went out on dates every weekend and Nate always treated me to everything.

It was probably our eighth date when Nate asked me. We were out to dinner at a small Chinese restaurant in town when Nate started hinting around and then boom!

“So…who do you like?” He asked, as if he didn’t know.

“Um, I think it’s pretty obvious,” I smiled and he smiled back.

“Would you ever go out with this boy you like?” I remember exactly how he asked me. He winked and I could feel my face getting hot.

“Maybe if this guy had the balls to ask me out,” I smirked.

“Well, I do have the balls,” He smiled and kissed me lightly on the lips.

When I got home, I saw I had another request on Facebook. I clicked it. Nate Ericson has listed you as his girlfriend. I accepted the relationship request.

That night, Nate texted me until he fell asleep, but I still sat up in bed, thinking. Wow. Nate Ericson. The model perfect boy. All mine.


The author's comments:
This is a short part of my novel that I am currently writing. It's based on a true story of my life, but I changed some things such as names.