A Masked Existence | Teen Ink

A Masked Existence

By Rameezay BRONZE, Lahore, Other
Rameezay BRONZE, Lahore, Other

Stick and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me!

Part 1:
As I woke up, my arms and stomach and legs, basically my whole body hurt. I heard the front door close and knew the coast was clear and that I could now get up. As I slowly got out of bed and went to the bathroom I felt every little ache in my body. When I got in front of the mirror and saw my face, I didn't recognize it at first. My cheek was blue, my eyes were red, my lips were swollen, and as I noticed how much my face had changed over night, I realized my personality had changed like that too, I was from the inside and out completely different. A tear slid down my face and I realized I was alone. I felt sorry for myself and I hated my self for taking his abuse. I fell to the floor, crying in defeat. As I lay staring at the bathrooms ceiling, I heard something in the distance. It was a ringing sound. It was the phone. Fear gripped my heart, thinking it will be him. Him.. my husband.
I gathered myself and got up and went to answer the phone. I looked at the caller ID, I saw it was from Pakistan, my home land. I picked up the phone savoring my mothers voice as she said "hello". I replied "Hello, Mama", then my mother said
"Oh my sweet child, how are you?, We miss you so much darling!", I couldn't keep my voice from cracking as I said
"I miss you too mama, I'm fine.. I'm..I'm really happy" my mothers voice sounded relieved as she said "Oh I feel so happy to hear that, so hows Asad?" Just at the mention of his name, I couldn't think properly but I found myself saying
"Hes great" then I hastily said
a good bye and ended the call so the weaker part of me wouldn't win and tell my mother the bitter truth.. but I didn't want to worry my mother with the endless tales
or torment, the torment I suffered on a daily basis.

This story is about a girl from Pakistan who gets married to a guy from Canada and gets abused by him but doesn't tell anyone about her misery. This piece is about the Pakistani society and how its considered bad to get divorced or to speak up against your husband.