Confessions of the Swimmer Girl | Teen Ink

Confessions of the Swimmer Girl

Dear Dad,
It was a hot, long, sticky day when I made up my mind. Days like that were what I had prayed for every night, a day like that had been the bright light at the end of a tunnel. The light you can only catch a glimpse of when it is drawing near, yet even when you are miles away, that little voice in your head tells you that the light is always there; keep on going.

With a splash, I dove into the aqua, sparkling, clear paradise sitting in our backyard. Instantly, I was enveloped in the protection of the chlorinated, cool water surrounding me. I held my breath and concentrated on the wall in front of me. I pushed hard with my arms and legs, focusing on doing whatever it took to get to that wall, only to tap it and turn around again. I was a machine that cannot be stopped: no one and nothing could stand in my way. My powerful limbs and strong muscles helped me through the race, but I know that it was my heart and my brain that truly made me what I was known as: The Swimmer Girl.

Soon enough, you had come outside. Standing at the edge of the pool, you stared down into the water, watching me. You thought that I couldn’t feel your presence, your eyes boring into my swim cap, but I could. I’d felt it since you started doing this, over a decade ago. I also know that swimming was the only reason you didn’t send me to a Swiss boarding school like Kara and Brent, the only reason you hadn’t tried to get rid of me. You knew I was good at swimming- really good. I knew it too, the whole town did. But there was something about me that nobody knew, other than Ty. Who is Ty? Well, I can promise you that you’ll never find out, considering his name isn’t actually Ty- or is it?
48 hours. The thought of it circled around and around in my head- like a carousel on steroids. 48 hours until I could break through a wall of labels and reputations and rumors. In 48 hours I would, finally, be happy.
And 48 hours later, I was gone. Gone like the wind- I know, really cheesy. The reason I’m even bothering to write you this letter is so you know that I’m okay, if you even care. You need to know why I escaped, because I know you have already contacted the police, your future-Olympian daughter has gone missing. But dad, I’m happy now. And I know that you aren’t happy because you had planned on me getting a gold medal in the summer games as soon as my training was over, but then I wouldn’t have been happy. And I know that the world doesn’t revolve around me but I decided that I was tired of doing things just to please you, it was making me sick.
Finally- My confessions. One, I hated my life. I hated the hours and hours of swimming that caused me to become friendless. I hated you- how you were more of a coach and trainer than a dad; hated that I had no one to lean on. I hated that more people knew me as Swimmer Girl than my real name. But there was one thing in my screwed up life that brought me bliss- Ty. I loved how he called me Liz. Loved how he listened to me and understood that I had to swim, he knew how much I hated to let you down, too. Loved how he was my friend. Ty is the reason I am happy, he is the reason I escaped, he is the reason I ran away and am never coming back.
Love,
Your daughter, Elizabeth

This was originally part of another story I'm writing but it just didn't mesh well enough with the rest of the plot, so I added more and made it it's own short story. I hope you like it <3 feedback is welcome!