Beneficial Friend | Teen Ink

Beneficial Friend

By Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri
Odessa_Sterling00 DIAMOND, No, Missouri

All gave some, some gave all. -War Veterans headstone.

We looked at each other’s baby pictures. We went to the mall together and rode the carousel in the food court. We flew cheap little kid kites, his had Lightening McQueen on it, mine had Disney Princesses. We talked on the phone all night long. We made cookies together, though they tasted horrible. We swam in my pool together. He rode on his motorcycle.

Then he got a girlfriend, and being best friends seemed impossible. He took her on “dates” and bought her jewelry. He brought her roses and took her to prom. He kissed her in public, and did more behind-the-scenes. He showed her my favorite baby picture of him, where he’s dressed like a sailor. He took her to the mall and they rode the carousel with her, in our teacup. He got new kites, Sponge-Bob and Dora, and the flew them with her. He talked to her on the phone all night, and I got sent to voicemail. They probably made cookies together, and they probably tasted amazing. They swam in her pool and rode his motorcycle around town.

He got a new best friend, and one with benefits.

Just a short story of losing a friend.

on Jul. 20 2011 at 6:43 pm
JustAnotherOwl SILVER, Unknown, New York

"See, we don't really care who you are;
Everyone is capable of looking up and wishing on a star.
So catch it, so contagious, this day-dreamer's disease,
And hope can be your sword, slaying darkness with belief."

"Sanctuary"- Paradise Fears

This was very good! I especially like the last line and how it matches with the title (and how the title is misleading). Short and sweet.

on Jul. 11 2011 at 8:24 am
ChelseyChelsey SILVER, Morristown, New Jersey

Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live.
-Charles Bukowski

They've promised us that dreams can come true but forget to mention nightmares are dreams too - Oscar Wilde

wow that is really good i loved it :)