The Bracelet | Teen Ink

The Bracelet

June 8, 2011
By Danielle Marchand BRONZE, El Cajon, California
Danielle Marchand BRONZE, El Cajon, California
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Sadie’s electric blue eyes sparkled like the nearby ocean as she excitedly bounced along the path near the marina with her father. A small silver bracelet glistened brightly on her wrist and jingled with each lively footstep. She turned to her father, smiling as she kindly grasped his hand, her golden curls swinging with each step. After squeezing her hand, he gently took the bracelet’s charm between his fingers. “You look so much like her,” he said, “I know you don’t remember the last time she came back and gave you that bracelet, but you’ll recognize her as soon as she steps off the ship.”

“I know Daddy. I love Mommy and I see her picture every day and she’s always with me because of her bracelet,” Sadie replied softly.

“We’re almost there,” he whispered earnestly as the ship grew even larger on the right, hiding everything else from their view.

Once they reached the large group of people at the port, the marines proudly poured off the ship and Sadie caught sight of her mother without delay. She elatedly ran toward her, darting between the embraces of other families, and eagerly jumped into her arms.

“I love you Mommy!” she exclaimed, “I wore your bracelet everyday, and it made me know you were thinking about me, just like Daddy said.”

“I love you too Baby,” her mother repeated, holding her daughter tight.