The Big Day

She wakes up in the morning for yet another track meet. It’s the first of the season. Her last season. The butterflies are already there but she blows them off. She handles the nerves as normal; self assurance, affirmations, and prayer. Her coach welcomes the girls, tells them what they are running, and takes attendance. 3 events today plus finals, if you make it. An easy day. She gets onto the bus.

The whole team is excited and anxious. Nervous babble fills the air and the tension is almost tangible. She sits with them in the huddle and they all talk in effort to distract themselves. But, it’s time to warm up, time to focus.

Warm-up is over, time to check in. the girls are placed in their lanes and wait silently for the heat to be called.
You’ve worked the hardest, you want it the most, just one prelim. You’re ready. She coaxes herself to the line and prays. “Runners take you marks!” they are commanded. Time to see if all the training has paid off. “Set!” butts up… the goes blares and the girls race off.

luv2run2299This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 9, 2011 at 11:44 am
That is cool. I love to run so I can really relate to that! Keep writing!

thatclarintetgirl said...
Jun. 7, 2011 at 8:33 am

I remember when I did that. Keep writting the good works!