Life Without Petroleum | Teen Ink

Life Without Petroleum

May 12, 2011
By audreyt BRONZE, Westlake, Texas
audreyt BRONZE, Westlake, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Petroleum is a dark colored flammable crude oil that has been used frequently for the past century. On March 25 2030, petroleum had come to its lowest amount ever. Today, April 10 2030, we have found ourselves in a world without petroleum. What are we going to do?

Petroleum was the source of petrochemicals. Petrochemicals include plastics, alcohol, medicines, sweeteners, perfumes, dyes, and explosives. Although wood, hydropower, coal, oil, natural gas, and nuclear fission are other alternate forms of energy, petroleum was the most widely used source.

The United States will start by using nuclear power and hydroelectric power. Nuclear power is the source of which is nuclear fission or fusion. Hydroelectric power is a renewable energy and produces no waste. This will be the world’s main source of power used. Before today only 19% of the worlds electricity was supplied by this. Cars that have been running on oil will be restructured into cars that run off of electricity and waterbides. Waterbides are the new invention Thomas Harold came up with a year and a half ago. This is a car that runs on water only. There is no charge needed but this is a very expensive process so only the people willing to pay for it can have this done.

Solar power is the generation of electricity from sunlight. This power will never run out or at least not for billions of years. Their are four main types of solar power including; solar photovoltaic power, concentrating solar power, solar thermal energy, passive solar energy. These renewable energies are emission free, saves money, and if a massive grid failure leaves you without power for a long amount of time you can consider using batteries.

Many families are in danger of losing everything. Why? Because over 400 million people are estimated to work in the oil industry. These families will have to find a new job, possibly go back to college and learn a new profession, or retire. This has effected everything in our world!

Our officials around the globe are working to find a way through this. This world is not coming to an end but the world as we know it is going to be changed. All these different methods of power will get our nation back to it’s best!