When Our Paths Crossed | Teen Ink

When Our Paths Crossed

She was all alone steadily walking around the stadium. It wasn’t the first time Lola’s dad forced her to go to a baseball game, but this time seemed much more melancholy than those in the past. Perhaps it was her age or the fact that she was arguing with her friend, she wasn’t sure. Her eyes never even strayed away from the ground as she paced, nothing about that sport interested Lola. The parade of one continued past the many concessions and boisterous fans until suddenly a pair of unmoving shoes were in front of her own. Steadily, her hazel eyes moved upward and found that not only were there shoes, but a pair of worn jeans and a baggy polo shirt. Inside of all of these was a boy with sparse freckles and a crooked nose. Cowering away, Lola apologized for no reason and continued her march. The game was nearly over anyway and it was time to leave. She headed back towards her father and they both departed. Utter silence filled the car, the father wasn’t excessively talkative and he passed that trait on to his daughter. A slow pitter patter of raindrops began. As they dribbled down the window she watched them slide on the smooth glass. Suddenly, her head jerked to look out the front windshield when a gasp came from her father. Before the crash she saw one thing, a baggy polo and a crooked nose, then the darkness took her.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He had always loved sports and excelled at each one that he tried. His only failure was a broken nose Damon once got during a particularly rowdy football game, and he would always be reminded of that with a forever crooked snoz. It took enormous amounts of convincing and even bribery for him to get his sister to bring him to a baseball game, but finally his efforts had paid off and he found himself in row D of section 117. Damon was intent as he watched the match unfold in front of him. As the game neared an end he got up to refill his soda as quickly as he could. In his hastiness he nearly trampled over a girl. He paused in front of her for a second after noticing how lovely her deep hazel eyes looked with her dark hair, and then scurried away once again, not even hearing the weak apology she had stated. As Damon went back to sit down the game had already finished and he cursed to the wind in anguish. Piqued, he rounded up his sister and headed to the car. Moans came out of his lips along with insults. These only grew louder as a dawdling rain pattered against the sides of the car. Damon’s sister, irked by the lack of a thank-you, began to admonish the boy. Soon an argument began and she unknowingly drifted into the next lane. He saw frightened hazel eyes in the other car before flying out the windshield.