Lizards, Reptiles, and Other Creepy Crawlies | Teen Ink

Lizards, Reptiles, and Other Creepy Crawlies

May 12, 2011
By Philip BRONZE, Shawnee, Kansas
Philip BRONZE, Shawnee, Kansas
4 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad." - Norma Papernick


Once upon a time, there was a young man. This young man loves going to the zoo, and every chance he got he would go straight to the "Lizards, Reptiles, and Other Creepy Crawlies" building. He would spend hours there, staring at the giant spiders and the little blue frogs. Every time the Giant Cobra was shrouded from view in the foliage, the young man would be irrevocably upset. After all, it was one of his ten favorite animals of all time.

Still, after several years of this, the young man's mother became very worried about her son's growing obsession. It was not so much that she disapproved of his clear delight in the animals, it was that sometimes he would begin to copy their movements and act like them. She simply couldn't stand a son who slithered like a snake or flopped about like a frog. Sadly, though, no matter how much she chastised him for this growing behavior, he remained obstinate. She had a growing trepidation that he would continue and even increase these actions. Somehow, it needed to end.

She tried to think of all the reasons he would act like this, to perhaps eliminate it so the odd behavior would go away. Could it be congenital? she asked herself. No one has ever found such interest in animals in this family before, she realized. No, this was definitely unique, and there was no cause other than his outright obsession. Suddenly, the young man's mother had an epiphany. Perhaps it was presumptuous of her, but she had to try.

On one of those particular days during which the young man made his way to the zoo, his mother was waiting for him in secret. As he walked by, she flung a snake upon him. It was only a small garden snake, but nonetheless her endeavors were successful. The young man immediately let out a scream of terror, and ran for his life, never to return to the "Lizards, Reptiles, and Other Creepy Crawlies" building again.