Rebecca | Teen Ink

Rebecca

Rebecca has been really rich for most of her lifetime. She could get whatever she wanted, whenever she wanted. The most really expensive stores knew her by her first name. She’s never had her own job, never really done anything in her life. She has designer jeans, shirts, jewelry, pretty much anything you could think of. She spends hours and hundreds of dollars everyday shopping, whether it was online or in the store. It was to the point to where she needed help to stop shopping so much. She realizes she has a problem and needs to slow down on her shopping. One morning she receives a phone call from her dad. She didn’t know what was going on, she usually never gets phone calls from her dad, only when there’s an emergency. She answers, “Hello?”

“How are you?” he asked

“I’m pretty good, how about you?”

“I’ve been pretty good as well, but there’s something I’ve been needing to tell you.”

“Yes? What is it dad? Is everything okay?”

“Oh yeah, its everything’s fine, it’s just my company has been having some problems and I was just trying to let you know so you could stop spending so much money, we’re going to need to save as much as we can so we don’t become poor.” As he was telling her you could hear his breath getting deeper and deeper. He didn’t know what she would say or do. He was hoping she’d listen to him. She’s been so use to not having to worry about how much money she spends everyday.

She takes a while to answer, “Yeah that’s fine dad.”

“Thanks sweetie, I appreciate it.”

She really didn’t know what she was talking about, she didn’t know how to save money and stop shopping. All she could think of is asking her only friend, Ashley. She’s been her friend since the 9th grade. They tell each other everything and do almost everything together. Except for shopping, Ashley doesn’t have as much money as Rebecca does. She calls her, “Do you want to go out for lunch with me today?”

“Yeah sure, and we need to talk its been a while.”

“Yeah I know, I miss you.”

They go out for lunch and catch up on everything. Then it was time for Rebecca to ask Ashley for help, since she’s always saving her money for everything. Ashley knows this is going to be a great challenge.

“Of course I can help you slow down,. I’ll come by your house after work.

“Okay thanks.”

Ashley arrives at her house. Rebecca doesn’t realize what’s going until she sees Ashley cutting her credit cards in half, “What are you doing!” she yells

“You asked me to help you, didn’t you?”

“Yeah, I did. But that doesn’t mean you can come over and cut my credit cards in half.”

“This is the only way you’re going to stop spending so much money.”

“I guess you’re right, this is just going to be really hard.”

“That’s why I’m hear helping you.”

“Thanks, Ashley. You’re a great friend.”

Ashley keeps adding to her stack of credit cards. Rebecca doesn’t know what to do, she’s going to go crazy without her credit cards. “I’m going to keep one in case of an emergency, you call me if you really need it, and this one is going to be for groceries only.”

Rebecca finds that Ashley had forgotten about one more credit card in her room. She runs up to her room and goes straight to the store.

“Would that be debit or credit?” the casher asks

Rebecca doesn’t say anything.

“Ma’am, would that be debit or credit?”

Rebecca still doesn’t answer, as she stares right at her.

“Ma’am?”

“Oh, debit. Sorry I’m just a little tired today”

“Its fine, just punch in your pin number.”

While Rebecca is punching in her pin number she’s thinking to herself. She’s thinking about her dad. “What am I doing?” she asks herself.

“Is there a problem?” the cashier asked.

“No, can I just return everything instead, I shouldn’t be buying any of this.”

“Yeah, that’s fine.” she says as she’s getting everything back out of the bag.

“Sorry about all of this”

“No it’s fine, it happens all the time.”

“Does it really? That would drive me insane.”

“Oh you’ll get use to it.”

“My dad would so proud of me,” Rebecca thought “and Ashley too.” she added.

She walks out of the store with no bags. She calls Ashley. “Ashley guess what!” she yells though the phone.

“What?”

“I went to the store with a credit card you forgot about, I was about to buy something but I stopped myself,” she tells her with excitement.

“Oh my gosh! I’m so proud of you. You’re finally realizing that shopping isn’t everything and there are better things out there.”

“Yeah, now I’m going to start saving my dad’s money,” I need to call him and tell him the exciting news.”

“Dad!” she yells right after he answers the phone.

“Yes?”

“I haven’t spent much of your money for a whole week!” as she explains what Ashley did to her credit cards.

“I’m very proud of you, honey. But I need to go back to work. I love you sweetie.”

“Love you too dad.”

Once she realized that not everything has to do with money and shopping, she hasn’t been going to the stores as often. Her whole family is really proud of her for not letting their family business fall apart. Her dad calls her back after a few hours.

“Thanks, sweetie for not letting me down,” her dad says.

“You’re welcome dad, you’re more important than a new pear of jeans or some new designer handbag.”

“Sorry, I have to go right away, they needed me.

“It’s fine dad, as long as our company is still up and running; if you’re happy, I’m happy.”

“I just wanted you to learn that its not always about having the best of everything, and wanting to be better than everyone else.”