The Price of Silence

The man sat in front of the TV, the dim glow bouncing off the cold beer he was sipping. It had been a long day at work, and all he really wanted was a few hours to himself. He stretched his neck, kneading at the knots buried deep.

“Daddy?” A meek voice came from a tiny pajama-clad figure next to the TV’s bluish aura.

No response. A pounding pressure throbbed in the back of his skull.

“Daddy?” The pajama-clad figure was a bit louder now. He positioned himself in front of his father, his miniature hands placed defiantly on his miniature hips.

No response. A searing pain replaced the dull throbs, and the man gritted his teeth.

“Daddy, I think you hurt Mommy’s feelings. She won’t stop crying.” His father waved him away, an unfocused light in his eyes.

No response.

“Look at me!” The pajama-clad figure was blocking the gleam of the TV, his voice a high, reedy whine.

“Get out of the way, brat,” he growled, pushing his son to the ground.

A tear slipped down the pajama-clad figure’s cheek.

And then silence. Finally.

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 16, 2011 at 11:43 am:
That was really good!  Was he a drunk?  Good job!!!

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 24, 2011 at 10:35 am :
You're welcome!!!! :))

Zinaidia replied...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm :
Wow, that story was very touching. I could feel the emotions and it was entertaining the whole way. Good job!