Unseen Light | Teen Ink

Unseen Light

April 26, 2011
By whiteswan17 SILVER, Woodland Park, New Jersey
whiteswan17 SILVER, Woodland Park, New Jersey
7 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.


I was—we were all kept in the dark.
---
Every day, I was in my own world. Inside my head, outside my own body was my whole life. Permanent pictures of life’s trials and tribulations were implanted in my brain and burned under my skin.
That was how my life was run.
We were only fed food consisting of their leftover scraps and dirty tap, a ‘feast’ compared to what we usually ate.
Nothing.
In a cage, where only a dark and empty room was my company was where I spent my days. Alone.
We dogs die young because we are born to love unconditionally. Our place on Earth is not needed after ten or twelve years. This is why humans are different. It probably takes ten or twenty years for humans to find the person that they will be with forever, after they’ve been raised and go out on their own.
Humans sometimes don’t deserve to have more time than us on Earth.
We had no choice of what happened in our lives. We are bred when more offspring are needed (even our gender doesn’t matter), and disposed of when we are no longer of use.
I am running out of time.
I’ve been dreaming of the scenarios of where I’ll end up for days.
I’ve never seen daylight in my life, I’ve heard of it, but I’ve never seen it. I wonder what it’s like, to feel warmth even through my coat, on my skin, into my soul.
The people here have no souls. I thought doctors and vets were people to trust, to love, because that’s what we’re born to do, but society, even for dogs, has changed. I don’t declare myself a dog, or even an animal in that matter, because something in me, something in my soul, in my body, is human.
It’s real.
We are prodded and pricked and stabbed with needles and covered with liquids and powders and other things I didn’t know existed. We see things some humans will never see in their lives, because we are kept in secret.
In hiding.
These people are worried that if they are discovered, these people bigger than them (Cops? Is that what they are called?), will make sure they will never do things like that again. Their biggest fear is being shut down. That’s not what these people want. It’s obvious that they want money, and the pride of knowing that they did what was best for the business.
I hear things even some humans probably shouldn’t have, their plans of expanding the company, and the desire for more products, the need for more testing of new products and especially: more animals.
Dogs in particular.
Humanity already has what they need—what more do they want?
As for me, I want to be free—we all want to be free. But for now, we are stuck here, in cages, lying in the dark.
My time on Earth is up.
It was never my choice.
-XY0007149


The author's comments:
In Language Arts class, my teacher whom we are trying to find a perfect dog for, asked us to write personal experiences in the eyes of a dog...and so XY0007149 was born.