The Blank Night Sky | Teen Ink

The Blank Night Sky

By audlyenough SILVER, Los Angeles, California
audlyenough SILVER, Los Angeles, California

"whenever I'm sad, I stop being sad and be awesome instead. true story."

Crickets chirped incessantly as Jamie paced her backyard, stomping on withered brown grass that crunched beneath her feet. “She’s being ridiculous, I don’t know how much longer I can take this. You know what? I’m not going to take it anymore, I’m done, and I’m through. GOODBYE!” she yelled into a small slate gray cell phone, furiously slamming it shut. Jamie realized that hanging up a cell phone really doesn’t provide the satisfaction one gets from slamming down an old landline phone. The loud bang as the receiver struck the hard plastic, the inevitable click as you were disconnected from whatever idiot made you so angry in the first place, the boinging of the coiled cord. There was always drama in Jamie’s life, always someone fighting with someone else, always someone “stealing” one of her friends’ boyfriends, always someone being a melodramatic self-centered moron. Jamie plodded over by the pool, sitting down on cool concrete and dunking her sun tanned legs into icy water. The water cooled her body immediately, melting away her sizzling hot anger into tranquil contemplation and sending shivers up her spine. Jamie threw her head back and gazed at the conspicuously bare night sky, stars replaced with airplanes and the moon replaced with ominous dark clouds. When had her friendships become like the stars and the moon, suspiciously vanishing behind dark clouds, selfishness and envy? But suddenly everything had changed, as days grew shorter and the grass wilted with winter’s dry wind. Now everyone just communicated by text, sending an insincere “heyy” every couple weeks when they felt guilty for letting good friendships fade. Jamie let her head rest on the ground, her feet kicking the water’s surface rhythmically, while nostalgia emanated from her sad, icy blue eyes. “When had everything gone wrong…?” As she closed those sad blue eyes, she was awoken from her lethargic state by a loud beep. Jamie reached for her phone, about two feet away on the grass, with outstretched fingers. Bringing it close to her face, Jamie studied the bright, stark screen, which informed her of three new texts, each comprising of as much shallow feigned interest as the next. She burst into laughter, her cackling voice echoing off the walls of the pool and disturbing the calm of her eerily quiet backyard. She tossed the phone into cyan waters, where it sank into shades of blue and its screen turned as dark and blank as the night sky.