Daddy

A young boy, sitting on a chair at the dining room table, had a huge smile on his face. He had a birthday cake in front of him, with five lit candles on it. His best friends and his mother were standing around singing to him. He took in a deep breath and blew out the candles. At the exact same time the doorbell rang. His mom ran to get it while everyone cheered for him.

Jamie watched his mom open the front door, just visible down the hallway from the dining room door, ignoring as his friends tried to get his attention. He frowned as the front door revealed two police officers. They removed their hats, their expressions grave.

James tried to eavesdrop as one of the men said something, but it was too quiet for him to hear. His mom stepped back like she was shocked. She bent her head, shaking it in denial and her shoulders shook. Jamie frowned, ignoring his friends as they grabbed chunks of cake and stuffed it in their faces. He slowly slipped down from the chair, walking up to his mother. “Good night,” She said, her voice shaking. She shut the door and turned and saw Jamie, his pale green eyes staring up at her. She took a deep shuddering breath then picked up Jamie.

“I’m sorry baby boy but…. Daddy isn’t going to make it home for your birthday.” She whispered.

Weeping_Little_Lover said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 11:29 am:
Your short story is rather well written, and certinly portrais the interest of what a five year old would in fact do for a door bell. Keep up the good work

PJD17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This was a really nice story i really liked it  keep it up  could you please check out and comment on my story Numb.  i would really appreciat the feedback

awritersesteem replied...
May 1, 2011 at 3:30 pm :
sure! and thank youu (: I cant find the link to your stories though! could you post the link?