Daddy | Teen Ink

Daddy

April 10, 2011
By awritersesteem GOLD, Stafford, Virginia
awritersesteem GOLD, Stafford, Virginia
17 articles 0 photos 49 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your inspiration with others."

-Robert Louis Stevenson


A young boy, sitting on a chair at the dining room table, had a huge smile on his face. He had a birthday cake in front of him, with five lit candles on it. His best friends and his mother were standing around singing to him. He took in a deep breath and blew out the candles. At the exact same time the doorbell rang. His mom ran to get it while everyone cheered for him.

Jamie watched his mom open the front door, just visible down the hallway from the dining room door, ignoring as his friends tried to get his attention. He frowned as the front door revealed two police officers. They removed their hats, their expressions grave.

James tried to eavesdrop as one of the men said something, but it was too quiet for him to hear. His mom stepped back like she was shocked. She bent her head, shaking it in denial and her shoulders shook. Jamie frowned, ignoring his friends as they grabbed chunks of cake and stuffed it in their faces. He slowly slipped down from the chair, walking up to his mother. “Good night,” She said, her voice shaking. She shut the door and turned and saw Jamie, his pale green eyes staring up at her. She took a deep shuddering breath then picked up Jamie.

“I’m sorry baby boy but…. Daddy isn’t going to make it home for your birthday.” She whispered.