Gullible Nick | Teen Ink

Gullible Nick

By jphelan GOLD, Peoria, Arizona
jphelan GOLD, Peoria, Arizona

I walk over to her because she was giving me the look. She was the prettiest girl in school (at least to me she was). She had a smile on her face and a scrunched nose with a finger motion telling me to come over to her. As I got up to sit with her someone tripped me and everyone was laughing.
My friend Greg got up and said “if you were a guy id beat you up.” She poured hot soup on his head and he shoved her. “You leave my friends alone, or ill kill all of you!”
He walks over to help me up. “You ok Nick?” “Yeah I’m fine.” I said, “I’m so gullible I can’t see what’s going on. I just get sucked in like a machine.” “Its ok man, you just gotta watch out.” The bell rang and we were going to our bikes and our tires were slashed. “If I find out who did this ill…” right as Greg said that two kids walked up and had knives in hand.
“What the hell was that for?!” Greg said fiercely. “You said that if you see anyone picking on you r friends you’ll kill them” said Jake with a smart a** comment.
“Yeah I said it” Greg said. “Greg drop it.” I said. “Yeah, drop it Greg” Jake said with another comment.
“Watch your mouth boy; I don’t have time for your crap!” I said. “What are you gonna do about it?” Jake said “this” I said. I shoved him and punched both my fingers in his eyes and Greg kicked the other kid in the leg and punched him in the stomach. “Hurry! We gotta go!” I said. We grabbed our bikes and ran all the way to the market. We took the longer way home so that they wouldn’t know that we were going to my house.
“Hey, I’m glad you stood up for yourself. Just do that with women, don’t be so gullible and they’ll be all over you.” Greg said trying to calm me down. The next day at school was better knowing that those two kids weren’t going to be there.
Greg and I were sitting next to each other at lunch again (as usual) and this strange but cute girl came up to us.
“Be cool and watch out!” Greg whispered.
“Hey” I said “Wanna sit with us?” she gave us a look like were speaking Spanish. She stood there for awhile and then sat down.
“Hi, I’m Nick and this Is my friend Greg.”
“Hi, I’m Katie.” “I’m new here and I don’t know where to sit, I hope its ok that I sit here.”
“We don’t care” said Greg. “What are your classes?” I asked “Well my first hour is English then math, lunch, science and art.” She said “Cool, we all have the next two hours together!” I said. We finished our lunch and talked for the remainder of the time. The next two hours went by and school was over. “You should go ask her for her number” Greg said. “But what if I do something weird?” I said.
He shoved me and I ran into her. “Sorry” I said “that’s ok” she said “Umm I know that we just met a...” she cut me off and gave me her phone number and a kiss on the cheek. “Your really nice” she said and walked to her car. “So, did you get her number?” Greg asked “Yeah and a kiss on the cheek too!” I said with excitement.
“See, that’s what happens when you be cool and relaxed, they’ll come to you” Greg said like he was some sort of god that knew everything about girls. Last night I texted Katie and we talked about where she was from and what her interests were. I fell asleep on accident because I was really tired and I felt bad about doing that the first time we actually talked. The next day was here and I rushed to school to tell her that I fell asleep. She said that it was alright. We were in art now and she passed a note to me saying “say you need to use the restroom.”
I asked if I could go to the restroom and she came after in like 30 seconds. She looked at me and said “I heard from some people that say you’re really gullible when it comes to girls.” I gave her a now you don’t like me anymore look. And she said “I don’t want you to be gullible with me because I like you.” She gave me a real kiss this time. Not a cheek, not a peck, a kiss.
After we kissed for about a minute or two I just stood there with my eyes wide and my mouth open. She tapped her finger on my nose and took my hand. The bell rang and it was the day that I actually felt good about.