kentucky | Teen Ink

kentucky

By CaseyElizabeth BRONZE, Boxborough, Massachusetts
CaseyElizabeth BRONZE, Boxborough, Massachusetts

If you leave a dream alone, it will continue to stay only a dream.

Sometimes an iPod on full blast can cure your problems. But my problem is life, how it goes by, and what happens every minute. Driving these six hours to Kentucky isn’t on my list of favorites but yet I’m still doing it, wasting my life, in a car, with my younger brother Jake kicking me every second. The car is boiling so I roll down the window, letting my face feel the cool summer wind gently flowing by my ears and into my hair. The air sent a slight shiver down my back but it felt good on my now sweat covered roots. I could tell about what time it was by the look of the sky, 5pm is my estimate. The sun is getting lower and lower. The only thing I enjoy is the gorgeous sun hitting against the roads as we drive further and further.
“How much longer mom?” Jake wines with a smirk knowing how those words irritate her.
“Only about a half an hour left.” She replied in the sweetest way she could, trying not to let the question get to her.
Jake sank down into his seat; you could see the sweat from his back glistening on the black leather. He picked up his iPod and started tapping away. Even with the volume on low the sound of his game was piercing threw my music and into my ears. I knew my mom and dad couldn’t take yet another fight from Jake and I so I thought id save them the pain by letting it slide. I reached to switch my ear bud out when I figured they had been a big contribution to the sweat. So I scrolled threw my playlist and picked my favorite song, found it, clicked it, and played it for about three seconds. I paused it and shut my iPod off. The headphones were soaked as I took them out of my ears. To distract myself from the hotness I rolled the window down even more. Still looking out the window, I saw something out in the distance. I couldn’t believe it: we were finally here, thank god.
“We’re here!” my mom said with a smile that could have reached ear to ear.
Jake looked up from his game also with that large smile glued onto his face. It was now around 7pm and all I wanted was to be alone. As I opened the door I could feel my legs that were asleep start to tingle. I put on foot on the pebble driveway and ducked my head under the door way. I looked up at the house and then to the farm. I remembered the neighbors that would always stop by, they too would wear a smile. I looked around and remembered my bags in the back. Our car was completely covered in dirt and mud; I didn’t dare to touch it. I looked around the floor of our car, found a towel that had been used a couple of times already, and opened the trunk of our now absolutely disgusting vehicle. My light blue and green bags were just out of reach, so I hopped up into the car onto my knees to retrieve them. With a slight tug I managed the 1st one out. The 2nd wasn’t as easy. I pulled and slide but I just couldn’t get it. Determined to get the bag out of the car, I lifted it with my arms and legs. The bag was extremely heavy and almost the length of my arm span. After the torturous lifting I got the bag to the ground. I pulled out the handle, shut the trunk, and headed for inside the house. Walking down the driveway made a wave of memories come flooding back towards me. The old wooden swing on the tree that always seemed to be the prettiest was one of the best. I remember one summer a boy named Shamus Coakly came to visit because they had just moved in down the road. We were both six at the time and that old swing was the thing that brought us hours upon hours of entertainment throughout the summer. We would do everything together from playing in the mud to chasing chickens; we would always be having fun. Then came the day that Shamus had to leave back to North Carolina. We were both sad that we wouldn’t be able to get to have play dates and push each other on the swing anymore.
“Shelby?” I heard a voice call me from behind.
This wasn’t just any voice, this was shamus.

its not done yet but i hope it will be done soon!