Is it too hard? | Teen Ink

Is it too hard?

By WriterGirl08 PLATINUM, Ghaziabad, Other
WriterGirl08 PLATINUM, Ghaziabad, Other

In my mind, I can climb intricate scaffolds of words to reach the highest ceiling of the cathedral and paint my thoughts. But when I open my mouth, it all collapses.
- Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

The phone dropped with a clang.Her hands shook as she bent to pick it up.Feeling numb,she dropped down on her bed and her room began to blur.She heard knocking on her door and the frantic calls of her brother seemed very far away.The world was spinning but she did not bother.It didn’t matter that she was cold,it did not matter that the heat was not turned on.All that mattered was the fact that it was he who had called.To tell her that it’s over,to tell her that there had never been anything between them,to tell her that she was a useless creature,to tell her that it had been a lie all along.The tears started flowing,one after the other,nowhere near stopping.She did not know who she was anymore,she felt like every moment was a dream,that she was just walking along,with nowhere to go.She looked around and a glint of silver caught her eye.The knife was there,it’s edges glistening.She got up and took one step after another, strengthening herself for what she was about to do.She walked slowly,as if she could postphone it,but she had made up her mind.Wiping her tears,she picked up the knife and ran its edge along her finger to see if it was sharp enough.And it was.And the she……….

The edge of the knife was hovering just above her wrist.She was two seconds away from cutting her hand when a thought crossed her mind-Mom,dad and her brother.She thought of how much she had hurt them,sneaking out past her curfew,not bothering to call when she went out,all the nights they had spent worrying when she had not come home.But inspite of all this,they hadn’t stopped loving her.So she took three steps back and took a deep breath.And another one.She wiped away her tears and steadied herself.She forced herself to smile,smile at everything,smile at the picture of her family,smile at the picture of her best friend,smile at the picture of herself taken long ago,smile at her reflection in the mirror,smile at the fact that she was alive :)