The Phonecall | Teen Ink

The Phonecall

By Elvira123 GOLD, North Tonawanda, New York
Elvira123 GOLD, North Tonawanda, New York

"I cry whenever I'm writing a novel--tears are good for us. Ice collects around the edges of our hearts. Tears happen when a little bit of that ice melts." -- Karen Kingsbury

Finishing the dishes, her hands were wet and soapy. The phone rang for the third time. What can be so important that you call so much? She thought. They could have left a message by now. The phone rang one more time and then the machine took it from there, to her surprise there was no message left by the caller. Just five more cups and two forks to finish. She was expecting the phone to ring a few more times. But it didn’t. She started to feel rushes if nervousness coming and going, something told her that something wasn’t right. But she didn’t know what! “The phone, I should call back, maybe something serious happened” drying her hands she quickly rushed to the telephone laying on the counter. The caller ID noted that it was her mother back in Moldova; she called me, but why, and so many times too. She was becoming dizzy which forced her to sit down.

The rings dialing home sounded like annoying trombones, long and dreading. She called once… no answer, then twice… and still nothing. As she started to dial a third she realized it might be worthless to dial again. Curling up on the couch she felt her heart beating. The room was silent. All kinds of thoughts were crossing her mind. It could have been bad news or, maybe good news. It could be something so happy it was worth calling a few times, what if it was mom and dad calling to wish me success in life and to keep trying my best. Wow something big to worry about everything was fine, what is there to worry about, silly me. She felt more calm now, getting up she walked over to the window to turn on some music. As she pressed all sorts of buttons, “the phone rang”. Familiar shocks ran through her body, she felt herself becoming warm. With her fingers shaking she finally pressed the TALK button, and her voice froze.

Her heart was beating faster and faster now; she finally cleared her throat and answered, “Hello”. “Hello, hello, can you hear me” echoed form the other line. “Mom is that you?” all she heard was crying on the other line. “Mom what’s happened? “. “It’s David. He’s gone, my baby’s gone… “Tears and crying were coming from the phone. Her whole world started spinning as she tried to put the pieces together. “ wha, ha, how did it, what happened?” . Her mother’s weeps were head in the background. It was the doctor speaking to her now. “ maim, please calm down and listen to me. To her those words seemed impossible. Nothing else was needed for explaining. Her eyes were flooded with tears before he could finish explaining. She hung up the phone. Everything was understood. Her brother had been sick with a simple cold. At least that’s what everybody thought. This morning he was rushed to the hospital with a fever of 104.6 f. The quick cat scans proved that he had a difficult and rare staph germ illness that causes a deadly pneumonia. This drug resistant infection kills the body in 72 hours or less. One night he was resting in his bed and just 8 hours later he was on his death bed.
Perhaps time will pass and we will remember him. This cute little 7 year old boy was taken away from our family. There is no time for regrets or sorrows now, the best thing to do it to thanks GOD for the time we had with him on earth. A sensual calmness settled over her, like the dew on morning grass. And she knew… only GOD COULD CALM HER HEART, LIKE THIS.

when i heard a story of a girl that died, i decided to write my own story of a boy who died and all the emotons that people might be going through when a person dies.

Elvira1120 said...
thanks i will read yours as sonn as i get a chance

PJD17 SILVER said...
on Apr. 12 2011 at 7:47 am
PJD17 SILVER, Belleville, Illinois

I do the best imatation of myself- Ben Folds

very impressive story  keep up the good work  could you please check out and comment on my story Manso's Shame  i would appreciate it   just type in Manso's  it doesnt come up itf you type in the full title