Alone

“What is she wearing?” I hear them whisper as I trudge by. My breath speeds up. I hug my book tighter to my shaking body. They hate me. They all hate me. They think I’m pathetic. I know it’s true. That man shows me every night just how worthless I am. My trembling hands immediately fly to the purple bruises hiding beneath my long sweater. No. Don’t think of that. Not now.

I struggle to force my mind to less terrifying thoughts. But it’s too late. The haunting experience from the previous night floods into my memory.

The front door slammed shut. I heard his slurred cursing as he neared my room. Dread filled my body as I struggled to control my shallow breath. I cuddled in a ball on my bed, rocking back and forth. Tears flooded out.

“Please,” I prayed, “please not again.” But it was useless. The door flew open. An uncontrollable sob escaped my quivering lips. I hugged my pillow and closed my eyes.

“Why is she crying?” they laugh, awakening me to reality. I quickly wipe my eyes, ashamed. Why can’t I ever do anything right? I dash out of the school. Cool air licks my wet face. I glance around, contemplating my next move.

I am trapped. I have nowhere to go, nowhere to escape. No one wants me. No one has ever wanted me. No one cares. I collapse onto the cold, barren ground. Alone.

Morganjean said...
Nov. 1, 2011 at 1:19 am:
If you're going to rate this 1 everyday, at least tell me why you don't like it so I know. Thanks.

Morganjean said...
Agreed! I know exactly what you mean. I think I've finally accepted it too. I always felt a little out of place, but now that I've accepted myself, I never really do. :) thanks!

loveconquersall said...
This is really good! :)

Morganjean replied...
Apr. 5, 2011 at 7:40 pm :
Thanks, I appreciate it!

AliceAngel said...
I was about to say "This reminds me of my life!" but then i remembered i'm not abused. But feeling lonely and friendless, yeah, i've felt that before. I have lots of friends, even when i had felt lonely and friendless, but i got through it...and i've been getting through it. I feel out of place sometimes, but it just shows you're unique. This is really good btw! I love it!

2goldenR said...
Mar. 30, 2011 at 8:21 pm:
I like how you used so much detail to make the emotion stand out. i could really feel how she felt. Trapped and like she didn't belong. You should definitly keep writing like this.

Morganjean replied...
Apr. 4, 2011 at 7:08 pm :
Thank you :) I love the feedback.

Silly Sunshine replied...
Apr. 4, 2011 at 7:30 pm :
I loved this!!!! You should really keep writing. This was sad maybe make the next one happier.... Loved it for sure though!!!!

Morganjean replied...
Apr. 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm :
Thanks! Yes you're right, perhaps the next one will be a bit lighter. Thanks for your input!