A winner without you | Teen Ink

A winner without you

By ang3la BRONZE, Nazareth, Pennsylvania
ang3la BRONZE, Nazareth, Pennsylvania

"If the only words you can use are swear ones, you have a lacking vocabulary."

It was in the last 3 min of the game that I scored a point. The crowd cheered at our goal making the game our win. But the important highlight of that day was, I scored against the goalie, my ex, or at least that’s how I thought it was going to be. We had started to date 3 years prior, and he was the one that taught me to play giving my all. We spent many a night late working on my technique and skill. That’s probably when I noticed I had feelings for this guy. It had never occurred to me before, but maybe I was in love for the first time, and maybe he shared those feelings. He was the one to ask me out, which I thought, confirmed my beliefs’ of mutual love. I will never be sure if he felt the same way, because I found him with another girl, doing things that he sad were for just him and me. Only one sentence slipped from my mind to my mouth, “It’s on.” From then to now, I did crazy things such as, cutting my hair and dying it to look completely different, I took up martial arts and boxing to get more strength, and I started to play with more competitive stride then anyone thought I could muster. In no time at all I was playing varsity and even that wasn’t enough. My team was winning, but we always got stuck against one school, my ex’s school. We had gone to different schools after our breakup, trying to put as much distance between us as possible. That man and that school were all that stood in my way. Snap back to the present, I had scored against the man that taught me everything I knew about the sport, who I had shared first times with, who I had loved, who had cruelly told me lies and went off with some other girl. The feeling of victory pulsed through my body, running through my veins, but that wasn’t enough to quell the memories of the good times. I wanted to be back with him, beating him in a game only brought bitter tears. It was more like a loss. Nothing can, could, or will make me forget our days, but at least I proved to myself, I can win without him.

it's life and I am living it.