Help me Chapter 6: Kids Again Pt. 1 | Teen Ink

Help me Chapter 6: Kids Again Pt. 1

By sandhawk3000 PLATINUM, Collinsville, Connecticut
sandhawk3000 PLATINUM, Collinsville, Connecticut

“A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water.” ~ Carl Reiner

Now wouldn’t that quote have been a real downer? It’s a good thing that I’ve decided to go with this one instead.

“The first fall of snow is not only an event, it is a magical event. You go to bed in one kind of a world and wake up in another quite different, and if this is not enchantment then where is it to be found?” ~J.B. Priestley

Now that’s much better, isn’t it? I bet you thought I was some sort of Scrooge that hates snow. Really…snow is just magical, and the first snow is always the best when you have someone to share it with.

I just so happened to be standing in the grocery store with my mom, crammed between a rather large man, and a shopping cart shoved somewhere a shopping cart should never be shoved.

“Oh look Damien!” said my mother happily, as she stared out over the snow like she was a little girl in school again. “It’s so beautiful…maybe there won’t be school today, and we can all have hot chocolate, like when you and your sister were little.” She said, as I tried to return her smile the best as I could.

“N-Not gonna lie mom…” I grumbled my voice a bit quiet, since she had leaned forwards on the cart when she looked out the window. “But I would be enjoying the idea of snow a whole lot more, if you weren’t crushing my ability to have kids.” I said, hoping she would lighten up a bite, and just stop leaning on the cart.

“Oh! Sorry sweetie…” she said quickly, her cheeks flushing slightly at her mistake, as she straightened up and freed me from my prison between metal and man. I slunk out to the side of the cart, giving the old guy a bit of a look. He just stared at me for a second, before he went back to buying what looked like Jack Daniels and a year supply of Twinkies.

As soon as he caught me looking at what he was buying, I was just looked away and stared down at my sneakers for the rest of the time we were there.
Once we were outside, my mother pushing her cart alongside me, I couldn’t help but grin. That was until a snowflake melted on my glasses, and blurred up the vision in that eye. Taking them off, I brushed at them with the hem of my shirt, replacing them.
We got home okay, and everything was unloaded into the house in no time, my mother just rambling on and on about the snow. It was getting a little bit old, but I knew how much she loved this kind of weather. So I would just shut up, and nod every so often, to appear listening. Just like my father did whenever my mom decided to inform of what kind of shoes she liked or something like that.
With all this talk of snow, I couldn’t help but start to feel a little bit hopeful. Maybe there really would be a snow day, and maybe I wouldn’t have to take my Physics mid-term. Ah, if only…not like I was all that horrible at physics. I just found myself asking my little sister for help on my homework far too often than I should have.
My mom had gone out to do some more chores, leaving me home alone since my father had taken Kara out to go to the GameStop so she could fawn over games.
There was a pause and leaned my hand against the window, and then my forehead. “I remember you loved the snow Daniel…” I muttered quietly, a sigh escaping my lips, and fogging up the window slightly. I raised my sleeve, and quickly wiped it away. I wasn’t going to let that thought get me down. I’d just hope for a snow day some more…and maybe throw Kara in the snow. I dunno, it depended. If we got more than five inches it was safe to throw her around.

Continuation