A Twist of Fait | Teen Ink

A Twist of Fait

March 6, 2011
By fromtheashes GOLD, ~~~~~, Montana
fromtheashes GOLD, ~~~~~, Montana
14 articles 6 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I took the road less traveled, and that has made all the difference"~Robert Frost


?

It was a busy Friday morning. There were people rushing to get to work and the sidewalk was full. If people weren’t careful someone was going to fall. If that happened, people would probably just ignore them and trample the person to death.

That’s when it happened. Two people from the opposite directions bumped into each other sending them off the sidewalk, thankfully. They just looked at each other’s faces, stricken with anger and confusion.

“Geez, could you watch where you’re going?”

“Me? You ran into me!”

The two girls continued to look at one another for about 30 more seconds, and then the one that spoke second got up.

“Yea, I’m sorry. I’m in a rush. I’ve got this thing at work that needs to be finished in,” she looks down at her wrist, “in 10 minute now. There’s no way I’m going to make it!” She stamped her foot and in the grass she left an imprint of her heel.

“It’s fine. I’m in a rush too.”

The second girl put her hand out to help the other up. “I’m Sarah by the way.”

“Thanks…uh…I’m Jess. Jessica actually but no one really calls me that.”

“Well it’s nice to meet you Jessica-I mean Jess.

“Same to you. Hey, here’s my number, we should get lunch together sometime. Uh…, how’s today? About 1 o’clock?” She handed Sarah her number half hoping she’d say yes.

“Oh, uhm, yea, that’d work. Here is mine.” She wrote hers on a piece of paper, wishing she had a business card as well.

“Great, well I’ll see you later then. I’ll call you a little after noon so we can figure out a place close by to eat at. Bye.”

“Ok, yea, bye.”

The two got back on the sidewalk and were swallowed by a crowd of people.

There’s something weird about the two girls. They both look a little alike-well more than a little-and look to be the same age. They both have sleek black hair, jade green eyes, and their faces look exactly the same. Twins, perhaps? No. That’s too much of a coincidence.

Jess finally makes it to her office. She’s the boss of a real-estate agency. She did her normal morning routine and when it came noon, one of her interns walked into her office asking what she was going to have for lunch today.
“Nothing today James. I’m going to meet someone for lunch today.”
“Oh, all right Miss Jackson.”
“Yes, you may go now.” She was looking at papers of her desk and not once did her face come up to see James.
“What? Oh, yes, of course.”
Jess fished her cell phone out of her bag and the piece of paper which Sarah had scribbled her number on. She dialed and waited for an answer.
“This is Sarah.” She said in a sort of uneasy hurried voice.
“Sarah, hello, this is Jess. We met earlier.”
“Yes I remember”
“Good. So, for lunch, where do you want to eat?”
“I don’t know. What’s around?”
What’s around? Jess thought to herself, How can you not know what’s around? “Well there’s a little sandwich shop nearby, and Olive Garden, and some Mexican restaurant I’ve never eaten at and don’t really trust.”
Sarah laughed a little and when Jess didn’t laugh back she stopped. “Oh, well, Olive Garden would be good. I usually just send someone to get my lunch that’s why I don’t know and I don’t go by them every morning like you probably do.”
“Oh, it’s fine. So, I’ll see you there at one?”
“Yes, at one.”
“Ok, bye.”
“See you.”
It was 12.45 and Jess called for her intern to get someone to get her a ride. “James, I need a driver. I need to be at Olive Garden at one.”
“Yes, right away Miss Jackson.”
James left and Jess got her things and left her office. She got down to the first floor and when she got outside she found a black car with a guy standing by the door.
She got up to the car and the door was opened. “Good day Miss Jackson. How are you today?”
“I’m fine. How are you Riley?”
“Very good Miss Jackson. So, Olive Garden is it?”
“Yes.” She had her phone and her eyes were glued to it as her fingers just moved across the screen.
“Ok, I’ll have you there in no time.”
He shut the door and got in the driver’s seat, put the car in drive, and off they went.
The car stopped and when Jess looked out her window she saw the restaurant. She waited for Riley to come over to her door and just sat there. He finally got over to her door and opened it.

“Thank you Riley.”

“No problem, Miss Jackson.”

Jess got out of the car and went inside. When she stepped in the door there was Sarah, waiting, facing away from the door.

“Hello Sarah.”

Sarah didn’t hear anyone come in and hearing a voice saying her name started her. “Oh, hello. It’s you.”

“It’s me. Who else would it be?” As she looked at Sarah she thought she was looking into a mirror. But the mirror’s clothes weren’t all that nice. Some black jeans, a white coat, and just some converse shoes, she couldn’t see what she was wearing for a shirt. But, she was dressing nice, of course. A black pencil skirt that went a little before her knees, a white blouse, a black little jacket, and heels that made her about 3 inches taller than she actually was.

A waitress came just as Sarah was beginning to open her mouth. “Hello, table for two?”

“Yes, thank you.” Sarah said. She looked uncomfortable, like she didn’t want to be here.

They followed the waitress to a table towards the back and Jess had so many questions for her, Sarah that is.

“Your waiter will be with you in a moment.” She put menus down on the table and left.

“So,” Jess started, “Where do you work?”

“For the newspaper. I’m uh, a journalist.”

“Oh I see, did you get what you needed done?”

“Huh? Oh, yea. It’s all done. What about you? Where do you work?”

“I’m uh…I own a real-estate company.”

“Oh, cool.”

“Hello,” a voice cut in, “I’m Stanley and I’ll be your waiter this afternoon. What can I get you ladies to drink?”

“Uhm,” Sarah said, “Water’s fine for me.”

“Ok, and you?”

“I think I’ll have the same.”

“All right. I’ll bring those right out and take your order.”

He left and the question started again.

“So Sarah, I’m just curious, how old are you?”

“I’m 24. I’ll be turning 25 shortly.”

“Oh, really? When’s your birthday? Because, I’ll be turning 25 in not to long also.”

“It’s August 15th.” Sarah had a nervous look on her face, it’s like she knew something bad was going to happen but she didn’t know what yet.

“Oh, wow, same as mine. What a coincidence.” Saying that made Sarah’s face just go stone cold. She had a look of shock on her face. “Hey, are you all right?”

Her face slowly went back to normal. “Yea, I’m fine.”


“Here are your drinks, ladies. What can I get you to eat?”

Jess gestured for Sarah to go first and she ordered something that was in Italian that Jess couldn’t understand.

“Uhm, I think I’ll just have Chicken Alfredo.”

“All right. And would you two like the soup or salad?”

“I think I’ll have salad.”

“Me too” Jess stared at Sarah. Could it be? No, there’s no way it could, right?
“Their salad was brought out and then the food. They sat in silence not saying anything the rest of the meal. When the waiter brought the check Jess insisted on paying it.
“Well that was nice,” Jess said, “We’ll have to do that again.”
“Yea, we will. Well I need to get back to work now.” Jess watched as Sarah walked away then disappeared.





Sarah hurried up and walked back to work. Probably the fastest she’s ever walked before. When she got there she ignored everyone as she made her way to her little cubicle consisting of a computer, desk, a chair, and random pictures tacked to her walls that separated her from co-workers. She sat down at her desk and pulled out her phone, and dialed someone.

“Mom. We need to talk.”

“Sarah honey, yes, yes, what is it?” Her mom sounded a little worried from the way Sarah said We need to talk.

“Mom. Do I have a sister?” Sarah was always an only child and had always wished for a sister.
Sarah thought back as she used to play in her back yard all alone. The countless numbers of days where she wished she had a sister. In the sand box she would sit and play with her imaginary friends. She wanted so much to have a sister and better yet a twin. She used to think that that’d be the coolest thing ever.

She came back to present time with her mom’s voice saying her name.

“Sarah. Sarah are you there?”

“Oh, yea, sorry mom I spaced out. What did you say?”

“I said that we should meet. This isn’t something I want to tell you over the phone. Can you come by my place after work?”

“Yea. I can do that.”

The day seemed like it went on for ages. Sarah sat in her cubicle for 3 straight hours typing away on her computer. Four o’clock finally came and she grabbed all of her things and left.

Sarah walked outside and called a taxi, gave them directions to where she needed to go, and she was off to find out the truth.

Sarah showed up at her house-or rather her old house. The place she spent 18 years of her life. All those years wishing she had someone to talk to when there was no one else; a sister is what she needed then. She went up to the door and knocked once.

“Mom? I’m here.” She walked in and found her mom in the kitchen finishing up making cookies.

“Sarah dear, you’re here.” She gestured towards the living room and in the other was a plate of cookies. “Let’s talk in here.”

She followed her mom into the living room and sat in her favorite chair.

“How have you been? I haven’t heard from you in what seems like ages.”

“I’m fine mom. It’s only been a week.”

“I know, but that’s too long.”

“Okay, well, I need to know. Do I have a sister?”

Her mom looked out the window and then down at her feet. “I don’t know. You might but I don’t know.”

“I might? How might I? How can’t you know? It’s a simple question; yes or no.”

“Honey, I really don’t know. There’s a high possibility that you probably do.” She looked down at the floor again waiting for Sarah to say something but when she didn’t she looked back at her and said, “Sarah, I’m sorry, but you’re adopted. I wish I had told you before but I just couldn’t tell you.”

Sarah’s whole world came to a stop. Of course, she thought. Her mother and father both have brown hair and hers is black as a Raven’s. Their eyes are the color of a hazelnut and hers are the color of an emerald.

“Mom, I need to go. I really do. I need to do something.”

“What? Why? You just got here.” But Sarah had already gotten up and was headed out the door.

Sarah walked down the sidewalk and once she got to a busy street called a taxi. She got in and gave them the address of the only real-estate agency that she knew of that was near where her and Jess had met.

She got there and asked to see her.

“I’m sorry, do you have an appointment? Miss Jacksons really busy.”

“I don’t care how busy she is. I need to see her now!”

“Well without an appointment I’m sorry to say you can’t.”

She sighed and went down the hall. She would find her whether she was told she could or not.

“Maam, maam!” The receptionist called after Sarah as she walked away.

Sarah got to where there were cubicles. She stopped and then looked around for a big office. She found it and walked towards it. Inside was Jess sitting at her desk. Without knocking on the glass door she barged in.

Jess looked up from her papers on her desk and was surprised. “Oh, Sarah, hi. What brings you here?” She looked behind Sarah and in were coming security and the receptionist.


“I’m really sorry Miss Jackson,” started the receptionist, “I tried to tell her you were busy and she couldn’t see you without an appointment but she just took off.”

“It’s ok Cindy, you may go.” She looked at the two security men. “You two, I don’t need you, you may leave now.”

They walked out of her office and Jess looked at Sarah. “So as I was saying, what brings you here? Is everything ok?”

“Yes, no, maybe, I don’t know! I was just talking to my mom and she told me something I couldn’t believe and I came right here. I need to ask you something important.”

“What is it?” She was just looking at Sarah not knowing what to think.

“What did you first think when we bumped into each other earlier today? When you looked at me?”

“Well, truthfully, I thought you looked an awful lot like me. It was weird but some people look alike, right? Just a coincidence that we happened to run into each other.”

“That’s all, just a coincidence that we look alike? Nothing ever ran through your head other than that? What about when you found out we were the same age and had the same birthday, what then?”

“Well there was something in my mind saying that somehow…that maybe we were…twins. But then I thought no. Just another coincidence.”

Sarah gave a little sarcastic laugh. “Just a little coincidence? That’s it?”

“Yea, I mean there’s no way. My parents would have told me that I had a twin. I mean why wouldn’t they?”

“Do you even know if they’re your real parents?”

“Of course I do! How could you even ask that?”

“Are you sure? A hundred percent positive? Do you look like them? Even a little?”

Then that got Jess to thinking, no she didn’t in fact she looked nothing like her parents or any family members at all. Not even the slightest.

“There’s no way.” Jess whispered. She looked down at her desk then back up at Sarah. “It can’t be, can it?”

“I don’t know. That’s why I need your help. You need to call your parents and ask them now. Ask them if you’re adopted. Anything. Please. I want to know and I can bet you do too.”

“My parents…my parents are…they passed away two years ago.” Jess looked down and thought she would cry.

“I’m…I’m so sorry. Is there someone else? Siblings maybe, or aunts or uncles?”

“Maybe. I was pretty close with my aunt I could ask her.”

“Could you do it now? If you don’t mind.”

“I don’t mind, not at all. Uhm, you should take a seat. You don’t need to just stand there.”

Jess picked up the phone and dialed it. “Hello, Carrie, it’s me Jess. I have something to ask you.”

“Yes dear go ahead. What is it?”

“Am I…am I adopted?”

“Oh, I was wondering when this would come up.”

“Am I or am I not? I only have a few minutes.”

It was silent for a few seconds then she talked. “Yes, you are. I’m sorry.”

“No, it’s fine. I have to go now I’ll talk to you later.”

“Why did you need to know? What’s going on?”

“Nothing bad, I’ll call you later.”

She hung up the phone and looked down. She didn’t know what to feel. Joy or sadness.

“So,” Sarah said, “What did she tell you? I’m guessing from the look on your face that it was a yes?”

“Yes, I’m adopted. Did you hear what you wanted? Yay! We’re sisters. I found out I’m adopted and I’ve gained a sister.” There was no excitement in her tone. She was on the verge of tears.

“I’m-I’m sorry. I didn’t…I’m sorry I think I’ll leave now.” She headed to the door and Jess said something.

“Wait, don’t go, please. I wasn’t trying to sound like a snob but when you find out after almost 25 years that you were adopted and have a twin sister; it’s a bit much to take in. I’m not mad at you, not at all. I’m sorry. Can you sit down?”

“No, I won’t.”

“What? Why? I said I’m sorry.”

“I won’t because I want you to come here. You’re my sister for god’s sake. Give me a hug.”

Jess smiled and got up from her desk. She made her way over to Sarah and gave her a hug. Maybe it was fate or just a coincidence but something brought these two girls together today and had them figure out they were sisters.

The author's comments:
This is a story that I wrote for my Creative Writing class. I hope everyone likes it. Please tell me what you think and rate it. Thanks!