On Top of the World…Sort of | Teen Ink

On Top of the World…Sort of

January 20, 2011
By Patrick Sheehan BRONZE, Swampscott, Massachusetts
Patrick Sheehan BRONZE, Swampscott, Massachusetts
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Jake Scott was what most people would call the “perfect kid” around the school and community. Jake had everything he could ever want in high school. He was the starting varsity quarterback of the football team and he was a straight A student. He had also got into Harvard, a school most people only dream of getting into. Girls wanted to be with him and guys wanted to be him. He felt like he was on top of the world and nothing could bring him down.
One day, as Jake was walking to his next class; Sara Williams, a girl whom Jake had been interested in dating started to inform him of an upcoming party on Saturday night. The party would be at her house and only a handful of kids would be there.
“Hey Jake, I’m having a small get together at my place this Saturday night and you are invited,” said Sara.
“Oh,” replied Jake. “I had heard of kids talking about this party, but I wasn’t sure if I was invited or not.”
“Well, now you know, I’ll see you Saturday at my place at 7:00. The address is 44 Deerfield Ave. You won’t want to miss this,” said Sara.
“Okay, see you then, replied Jake.
This party was Jake’s perfect opportunity for him to get closer to Sara. This is the moment he had been waiting for and now he could end his high school year on a high note. He could not wait for Saturday.
Saturday night slowly approached, but it had finally come. Jake was getting on his jacket and shoes before his mom stopped him dead in his tracks.
“Where are you going Jake?” asked Mrs. Scott.
“Oh, I’m going to a little get together with a few kids from my school,” replied Jake.
“I hope there isn’t going to be anything bad at this party,” stated Jake’s mom.
“No, of course not mom, replied Jake.” You can trust me, honest.”
“Okay, but if there is anything bad, you get out of there as fast as you can, last thing you need is for something to go on your permanent record,” said Mrs. Scott.
“Okay mom, bye.”
Jake then left the house and quickly got into his car. He didn’t want to be late for the party. After about 20 minutes of driving, Jake then approached Deerfield Ave. He was perusing around the street for Sara’s house.
“24, 35, 42, 44. Oh here it is!” exclaimed Jake excitedly.
Jake then got out of his car and approached the doorsteps of Sara’s house. It was a rather large house. It was painted a very light blue color and it had a bright red door. Jake knocked on the door and out came Sara.
“Jake, glad you could make it,” announced Sara. “Come on in.”
As Jake stepped in the house, he noticed that it was not a small get together, but rather it was a very large party. There was music blasting and it was very chaotic and tightly crammed. Half of the grade must’ve been there. Jake also noticed that the kids at the party were drinking alcohol. Jake remembered that his mom had told him to get out of a bad situation if he got into one, but he didn’t want to be the odd man out.
“Okay, I’ll stay, but, I won’t drink,” thought Jake. “What’s the worst that could happen?
However, things did get very bad for Jake. He was peer pressured into drinking and after about an hour of drinking, he was drunk. The music got louder and the noise could be heard from around the block. As the party was reaching it’s peak, it was soon interrupted when the police barged in through the door.
“All right, the party’s over,” exclaimed one of the officers.
“Yo,it’s the c-cops, stated one of the teens.”
The officers got a call of a loud disturbance and were originally going to tell the teens to turn down the music, but then they noticed the alcohol. It was a brutal scene to behold. Teens were passed out on the floor and it smelled horrible.
“Alright, hands up, all of you.”
A few of the teens got up and tried to run away, including Jake. They ran out the back door and tried to hop of the neighbors fences in order to escape from arrest. However, it was tough to run due to the large consumption of alcohol and Jake and the rest of the teens were arrested.
“Alright, you guys are going downtown,” shouted the officer.
Jake and everyone at the party was put into a cell and also had to take a breathalyzer. Jake resulted in .09, which is above the legal limit. Each of the teens parents were contacted and they had to pick them up from prison. Things did not turn out well for the teens, especially Jake.
“Jake Scott, how could you,” wailed Mrs. Scott.
“I’m disappointed in you son,” said Mr. Scott.
Jake had a tough road ahead of him. He had to perform 50 hours of community service and this was on his permanent record. Worst of all, Harvard stripped him of his acceptance. All that Jake had worked hard for was ruined. He also had to attend an alcohol meeting on a regular basis. It seemed as though Jake’s life was ruined. It just goes to show that one bad decision can change everything.