Just to be Accepted | Teen Ink

Just to be Accepted

By elrinbidde GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky
elrinbidde GOLD, Louisville, Kentucky

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and to be loved in return"

Was it nerdy of me to kiss the envelope just before I mailed it? I did it anyways, hoping my saliva would give it some kind of powers of getting accepted into Princeton. I wish I could say that I’ve been dreaming of being enrolled into Princeton all my life, but it isn’t about that. It’s just about being accepted.

When I was a little kid, I didn’t dream about Princeton; I dreamt of my father finally looking at me, satisfied as a child I was. It seemed like I always was just going to be like my mom. He resented her, always thinking out loud why he ever hooked up with a hussy like her. When my mom left I was two, well, I never really knew. I don’t remember how it was or what she looks like. My dad never talks nicely about her or keep any pictures on the wall of her. I have brown hair. Maybe I got it from her. Dad’s hair is too light.

At school I was pretty popular. I hung out with all the glossy figures, went to their parties, even ‘hooked up’ with some of them. Even with them, I never felt accepted, or real. It felt as if we hung out with each other because no one else would. I looked at the other cliques in our school and how weird they were. They were themselves; unafraid of their peer’s judging eyes. And they were accepted. It was something I was longing to find. Something they were able to pick up at an early age.

That’s why I need to go to college. TO think that they come across my name and thought that I was college-worthy, especially theirs, it was everything. I wanted them to want me. Maybe then I could find someone there to accept me as well. After all, in the world we live in now, acceptance is key.

.

natty5 BRONZE said...
on Nov. 20 2011 at 1:39 pm
natty5 BRONZE, West Dundee, Illinois
I love how you broke it up into paragraphs like that--very effective!