The Broken Curse | Teen Ink

The Broken Curse

February 3, 2011
By Ebach BRONZE, Hereford, Texas
Ebach BRONZE, Hereford, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The hospital’s waiting room always gives off an anxious, nervous, sick-at-your-stomach feeling. The Smith’s family waited patiently for the doctor when only 30 minutes ago they had been enjoying their Sunday afternoon at their elegant house.


Everything seemed to be going so perfect. Mrs. Smith was on the phone with several ACC, Big 12, and Big East schools, discussing what they had to offer the Smith family and why exactly they wanted Trey to come play at their university.

Trey Smith was the basketball player of the decade in North Carolina. Mr. Smith pushed him from a very young age to pursue basketball. He always coached him, worked with him every day, and perfected all the aspects of his game. So far during his senior year, Trey was averaging 28.4 points a game, leading every other player in the state. He was virtually unstoppable and looked at as a superhero by the whole town and surrounding area. People wondered if the pressure or fame would ever affect his play, but it never seemed to. Others asked if the pressure from his parents would ever break him.

Trey and his little brother, Zach, were outside shooting freethrows just like any other day on the weekend. Zach never saw the car coming as he ran after the ball into the street. He forgot to look. However, Trey saw the car and was quick enough to get there in time. Well, he almost made it. As he pushed Zach out of the way, diving, the front tire ran over his left leg. He screamed in pain, and the family rushed him to the hospital.

Mr. and Mrs. Smith shook together as everything they wanted in the future for their son could have just ended in an accident that happened in a flash. Mrs. Smith cried and worried while Mr. Smith tried to comfort her but was more angry than upset.

“Your ankle and fibula are fractured in three places, Trey,” the doctor said as he returned with the x-rays in a torn voice. “I’m so sorry, Trey. I know how much this year’s basketball means to you, but you won’t be able to play again for at least nine months.”

The doctor just stared at the ground as he felt so terrible being the bearer of bad news. Trey lay there with a blank stare on his face, almost as if the news hadn’t sunk in.

“Would you like to be the one who tells your family, Trey? Or should I inform them?” the doctor asked.

“You tell them,” Trey said quietly.

“Ok I will. They will be right in to see you as soon as I let them know the situation.”

“NO,” Trey snapped with almost an angry voice. “I do not want to see anyone for a long time.”

The doctor left the room, leaving Trey all alone. His whole life all Trey had known was basketball. He never hung out with friends on the weekend, he was in the gym practicing ball handling. After practice, he stayed extra hours working on his own stuff. In the summers he had a tournament almost every weekend. Secretly, he hated basketball. He had lost the little kid enthusiasm he had always had. It was his entire life, but he just wanted a normal life like all the kids at his high school. Telling his parents was never an option. Being offered a full ride division 1 scholarship were his parents expectations from the first time he touched a ball. It turned out to be a curse more than a goal. Disappointing his parents would be the hardest thing for him, so inside he continued to play the game he hated.

Thoughts were racing in Trey’s head. Shouldn’t I be crying right now? Everything I have ever worked for has just been taken away from me. Shouldn’t I be devastated?


He had never had this feeling before. He felt relieved. This was an excuse to finally get away from the curse that had been on his shoulders since day one. This way Trey wouldn’t have to disappoint his parents or coaches or people of the town that all had the same expectations. This was perfect. From the outside, it looked like sheer bad luck. Trey, back in his bed, forgot about his pain. The future looked bright he thought.

The doctor walked down the hall feeling upset for the Smith family. He knew how sad Trey must be. He could only imagine the pain his parents would show once they heard the news.

“Trey’s leg is broken in three places, Mr. and Mrs. Smith. He won’t be playing sports for a very long time. I am so sorry.”

When they said nothing, the doctor walked away. Mrs. Smith let out a loud shriek as she lost it. Tears flowed from their eyes as their creation had been so close to fulfilling their dreams.