Mistake | Teen Ink

Mistake

January 20, 2011
By Zarisa Austin GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
Zarisa Austin GOLD, Ormond Beach, Florida
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It had been four years since the incident between Alyssa and Adam; something that caused the end of a relationship, friendship, a life. Nothing was to be the same again. Although today was the day of the anniversary of the tragic event, and there was a surprise for Alyssa.
Sitting in the hallway, Alyssa waits. She won’t make a move; she can’t make herself run away. “stop with that worried look on your face, things are different now. Just sit and relax. Soon it will all become clear,” Emily quietly comforts while playing Alyssa’s hair.

“I can’t believe this is happening. I don’t know how to feel. How do I act around him?” Legs jittering as she sits in anxiousness.

Just as Emily is about to say some kind words, there was a knock at the door that makes both girls jump to their feet. “I can’t do this, please don’t make me. I can’t see him after all this time. He’ll run away as soon as he sees my face. Emily please,” crying out in a whispered tone so the person on other side of the door doesn’t hear, Alyssa tries to get out of Emily’s grip.

Emily shouts, “COME IN,” while holding on to Alyssa for dear life. “Pull yourself together! It’s been a while but it’s time for things to be fixed, I can’t stand the separation anymore. You are doing this!” Hushed tones between the two friends fill the house as the door get knocked on again.

As the door squeaks open, a tall man’s silhouette stand before the girls. Emily is in shock and Alyssa is horrified. When the door is fully open, the man introduces himself, “Hello. I am Jeffery London. I know I am not who you were wishing to see. I am a friend of Adam. It was asked of me to come here today.” The girls looked at each other in confusion. “I understand this is a significant day, and I’m sorry if I am intruding on anything important. However, I am here with specific instructions. I presume by the nervous look on your face that you are Alyssa.” Alyssa straightens herself out and changes her look from nervous to concern and watches as he pulls something from his pocket. “I regretfully have to be the one to tell you, but this is a letter from Adam. It was written last week. It was addressed to you. On the instructions, it said once you read the letter you will understand.”

“What am I to understand? What else is in those instructions? Why didn’t he come?” Words trembling out of her mouth as if she has a stutter. She can’t believe she actually was mad he didn’t show.

“Adam has past. He killed himself last week. He could live with himself after all these years knowing that he could never take back anything. He explains it all. He could bear to face you after everything. I’m sorry for your lost.”

Tears fill the girl’s eyes as they stand and listen to Jeffery. Alyssa dropped the letter and stares off as Emily and Jeffery discuss more in depth the situation. She couldn’t believe it. After everything, he took the blame, the blame for her mistake.