A Road Trip to Never Forget | Teen Ink

A Road Trip to Never Forget

January 21, 2011
By Surigarasu BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
Surigarasu BRONZE, Las Vegas, Nevada
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

On the road again!
Something, something, something, on the road again!
Nikki’s driving the car, on the road again!
With her hair in her face, on the road again!


“Jenny, stop singing what we’re doing!” I giggled. “Can’t we just listen to the radio?”

I leaned for the radio and right before I reached the knob, SMACK! Jenny’s skinny little arm and hand whacked my hand, preventing me from turning on the radio. Does this skinny, brown haired, brown eyed prep, really think she can beat me in the battle for the radio? She may always be happy and have a smile on her face, but I can tell that this hyper girly-girl is hiding a deep secret.

The fight for the radio was on! There were smacks here and smacks there, bur no one was backing down. That’s when I knew I had to cheat. I dodged a slap and went for a cheap shot, right in her stomach. She leaned forward in pain. I turned on the radio and Jenny’s face lit up. It was playing to the tune of static. Which means I’m doomed to listen to Jenny’s impeccable singing.

Life is a highway, Nikki’s ganna drive it, all night long.
She’s missing her boyfriend, but we’re going to Utah, all night long.
We take this road that travels far, all night long.
To go camping in a forest, all night long.

“AHHHHH!!!”

Suddenly a wolf ran in front of the car, and with my love for wolves, I try to prevent from hitting it. We swerved out and the car span uncontrollably. No picture or figure was clear. My eyes were all of a sudden blinded by the deep depth of black despair. All my senses seemed to be cut off. Where was Jenny? Where was anything? Deep in the for depth of despair, was light. This light got closer and closer.

I was then sitting in the undamaged car. I turned to my right to see Jenny in the passenger seat unharmed, but petrified. We ignored what had just happened and continued to drive. No words were said. The ride to our camping spot had seemed to become awkward. Should I say something? But what? To try to lighten the mood, I cracked some jokes. The first joke had no response from Jenny, but joke after joke her responses had become greater and the air became less tense. Jenny always seemed to have been an easy person to make smile.

After 50 miles of Jenny complaining about how she had to go to the bathroom, we turned into a gas station. I found it amusing, because she walked to the bathroom like she wasn’t about to pee her pants, but there was a spring in her step, that said “ I don’t think I’m going to make it”. As she was in the bathroom, I filled the tank and sat in the car waiting for her. Twenty minutes past and she still hadn’t came back. I decided to go in to find her. After asking for the direction of the bathroom and buying some snacks for the road, I headed over to drag her back to the car.

I walked into the smelly bathroom, which was covered in mold and had a scent of dirty diapers. I don’t see her. Is she pulling a prank on me or something? Where did she go? I checked each stall and behind the door and under ever sink, but she wasn’t there. I walked out in confusion and walked over to the cashier to ask if they had seen Jenny leave. But his response was so strange that it frightened me. They said that no girl had walked in here other than me for the past four hours.

But I saw Jenny walk in there. I saw her ask that same exact cashier were the bathroom was. Is she pulling a prank on me and having this stranger play a part of it? What is going on? I walked out of the building in a combo of feelings, from the scared suicide jumping off a building, to a little five year old lost in a supermarket, and to the questioning of life. I glared up to a street light that’s light was flickering on and off. I compared that light to life and death. Whether if the light was on or off was life or death, I had no idea. It showed of how easy it would be to take a life. It showed how just one person would fight to stay alive. It spoke of the border of the living and non-living.

The light grew brighter and brighter, until I was blinded. All I saw was white lights, a white fog, and just a white room with a constant beeping and a non-stop shrieking beep in the background. The lights faded away and my eyes adjusted to a family crying with joy. It was my family. I was in a bed surrounded by my family, but we weren’t alone. There was another family across the room crowded around a bed. All I could see was a father sitting on the bed and in his arms was a brunette limp body. The man holding the limp body gripped her head with his hand and hugged her tight, but she didn’t hug back. Her arms dangled with no movement. His hand slipped down to her neck, and her head fell back. Her eyes were closed with no emotion. A tear ran down my face when I realized, that the cold unmoving body, was my friend.