Human Behaviors | Teen Ink

Human Behaviors

By Karina McGowan SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Karina McGowan SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Consider what makes a human a human. There are specific traits that define us. Many people share these traits but not everyone is the same. Things that set us apart from others are what make us special. If the world were full of people who all shared the same characteristics, the world would be a boring place, truncating the differences of man-kind.
The traits that set me apart from others are important to me. My jaunty expressions and brightness I bring to people is among my favorite traits. However, when first meeting me, I may seem timorous, as I barely speak a word. Failing to initiate in conversation misleads people into believing I am shy. Usually flamboyant in my actions, I always make the people around me laugh. I guess that is one of my downfalls, trying to impress people. I am constantly worried about my image and how people perceive me. At times, my ostentatious actions prove to have the opposite effect. At the top of the list would be when it comes to my best friend. He has always been there for me and I for him, yet he has not seen the way I truly feel. It is the anathema of my high school career.

This leads me to the fractious personalities of my friends. Full of complications and drama, not one day is the same as another. I wish I could expunge all of the rude comments and battles that my so-called friends fight each day. Battling for a room on our upcoming trip, one girl had to get left out because she had not informed us of her intention to room with us. Drama that in my utopia would not exist. This was a schism that separated us as a group. Now every day we all avoid talking to her and even making eye contact with her in fear of how she will react.

Trying to understand the ways of a teenage life is far beyond difficult. Yet we go to school and attempt to make sense of it all. What a world in which we live…