Exchange | Teen Ink

Exchange

By iluvchocolate314 BRONZE, Brighton, Michigan
iluvchocolate314 BRONZE, Brighton, Michigan

I used to love it, but now I hate it. I couldn’t help but look at it every second since I opened the package. Now it’s locked in a drawer, hopefully forever. I thought it would solve all of my problems, give me a new life. It just gave me more problems. And I want to give this life back.

I was all adrenaline, all excitement. Everyone in the world wanted one, and to be the first one in my town to get it? Priceless. My classmates had been throwing away their old models months ago, in the hopes that it would speed along the process of getting one.

My best friend and I, we had gone together to get it. I had to rip open the package, tear off all of the plastic as we were walking out of the store. I turned it on; it was everything that I had dreamed it could be, and in hot pink. She started driving; I was engrossed in my digital world. Of course, since she was my best friend, I had to show her every little feature. We were almost to my house, where I could show off to my little sister. I wanted to show her one last thing; she looked at the screen and then

Nothing.

I would change that exchange in a heartbeat. I would give away a million of these cold, rectangular things, if I could only get my best friend, the girl who knew everything about me, back. I don’t know what would have happened if I hadn’t done it. Maybe things would change. All I know is that now, it will always remind me of that night. And I just can’t face it. That night when I exchanged a best friend for a cell phone.