The Hard Times | Teen Ink

The Hard Times

This may be the hardest decision of my life, I thought to myself. My birthday was only 5 days away. My Step-dad, Jason, was asking me what it was that I wanted, and he told me I could have anything. No matter how big or small, it could be all mine. One day I was sitting in my room, as bored as can be, and then Jason came knocking on my door. "Hey Stephie," he always called me Stephie for short because my name was Stephanie, "I was just wondering if you had came up with what you wanted for your birthday yet. It's only a couple of more days and you'll finally be 16!" "Oh goodness I know I'm so anxious! I can't wait, but I haven't come up with what I wanted yet." He looked at me with amazement. You see I was kind of the person that wanted things to be done on the spot when you're told. I never wanted to wait a couple of days after because I liked things to be done on time. But this one wasn't an easy situation for me to put my hands on.

That day Jason decided the two of us would take a ride to the mall and spend a couple of hours there. He figured walking around through all the stores would give me a good idea of what I wanted. So we hopped in his 2008 Cadillac, black leather interior, and big bass in the back. And as fast as he drove, we were at the mall within 10 minutes from leaving the house. We walked into the mall and felt the cold breeze slap onto our skin. The rush of the cold gave me chills on my skin then punched butterflies into my stomach of nervousness of all the amazing things I could find. We went from store to store, stopped to grab a bite to eat, and then began roaming through stores again. I think we spent about a total of 4 hours there, and by the time we were ready to leave I was so happy to get to go home and rest my feet on my bed. We pulled into the driveway and I jumped from the car and ran to sit on the couch. Jason came in and sat on the couch on the opposite side of the room from me, and my mom came in and sat next to him. "Well Stephanie, did you find anything you liked?" My mom asked me. "Yes I got a couple of ideas. But I still need to make a final decision." I walked away from them and into my room.

I plopped my head down onto my pillow, looking up at the ceiling, and thought of what it was I wanted. I had come to the decision it would be between an iPod touch and a laptop. I was really thinking of which would be more useful to me. We had already had a family computer, but I got to thinking, and it would've been nice to have my own laptop to myself. But then I began thinking, and even though I had an iPod shuffle already, an iPod touch sounded nice. It only took about 5 minutes for me to make my final decision, and the iPod was the one I wanted for sure! I ran out into the kitchen, ruining my parents' conversation, and told them the good news, yelling at the top of my lungs. I told them I wanted the iPod and about $150 bucks, and then I would be pretty satisfied with their present. The 5 days passed by pretty quickly, and I woke up the morning of my birthday with a new iPod lying next to me. I was the happiest 16 year old girl ever.

I wrote this piece because I was so aggrivated about the little decisions that are stressful in life!