Final Departure | Teen Ink

Final Departure

By JennikaAntequera BRONZE, Kittery, Maine
JennikaAntequera BRONZE, Kittery, Maine

She hugs me tightly as my tears soak into the shoulder of her blouse. We both squeeze so hard, I can barely breathe, but I don’t let go. I know that when I let go, I’ll have to say goodbye. Over the loudspeaker, a man gives a final boarding call for the flight to Philadelphia. My heart sinks and I finally find the courage to break away from her embrace. I look her in the eyes and then down at the little boy standing next to her. I love this little boy. I take a good long look at him. He’s holding the little stuffed monkey that I helped him win at the fair last July. On his back, is his favorite Toy Story backpack. I wipe my tears away and pick him up. He’s still pretty light for a four-year-old.

I sniffle and put a big smile on my face. “Don’t you ever forget about me! Make sure you call me every once in a while, you hear me?” He lets out a laugh and wraps his arms around my neck. I try as hard as I can to hold back the tears that are filling my eyes. When he loosens his grip, I gently put him down and he grabs his mother’s hand.

I step back and take a look at my sister and my nephew. They have lived with me for the last two years and now they are moving away. I knew this day would come eventually, but I never thought I’d be this emotional. I look to my right and a woman standing by the ticket check smiles and points to her watch. I smile back and hand my sister her carry-on luggage. As we make our way to the gate, she tells me that she’ll call me as soon as she lands.

She hands her ticket to the woman at the gate and I give her one last hug. When she gets her ticket back, they both make their way down the long tunnel to the airplane. I hate to have to see them go, but I smile, wipe the tears that are building up, and walk away, knowing I’ll see them again one day.