When the Rain Falls | Teen Ink

When the Rain Falls

January 3, 2011
By Shminkanator5000 SILVER, Rochester, New York
Shminkanator5000 SILVER, Rochester, New York
9 articles 0 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
"the only thing we have to fear is fear itself"


Whenever the clouds gathered overhead I'd go outside and wait for the rain. I went everywhere- fields that were bright with summer daisies, my backyard, under great oaks peering overhead. But when the fail finally appeared, I'd be sure to stand in the middle of the clearing. The rain would pour down, trampling the ground. It would soak me from head to toe. I'd close my eyes and open my ears. Listen to the song the rain projected, it's crash as it hit the ground, the splatter of a million tiny drops across the clearing. It was moments like this when I sat and remembered. I remember how you always used to say that the rain was a sign of tranquility. It brought along peace and life after a heavy storm. I'd look out the windows and see you, looking up at the rain, eyes closed, and smiling. I've never seen a person smile that wide in my life! So now when the rain falls, I copy you. I may not know what you were thinking or feeling, but now that you're gone, it's the closest thing i have to you. Thank you for giving me the gift of the nature around me, for it will always bring me closer to you, even when you're gone. I think you probably took the form of the flowers that bloom after it rains, forever returning home. This very thought gives me hope. I love and miss you, Big Brother.


The author's comments:
I wrote this as a 10 minute quickwrite in english class. I ended up reading it aloud.