The Cancer Monologue

I know I swore I wouldn’t give up on living, but the doctors won’t even tell me I still have a chance anymore! When the nurse comes in she smiles, but it never reaches her eyes! My family doesn’t even visit me anymore. They don’t want to remember the sick me! My husband hasn’t even brought my own son to see me in two months! Last time I saw him, my son didn’t even know I’m dying. What will my husband tell him when I’m gone? This pain is only getting more excruciating! Who knows how little time I have left?

There was so much that I had planned on doing in my lifetime! I was going to go sky diving and bungee jumping! I was going to run the marathon! None of that even matters now! After all, I can barely walk. No one has even called my parents yet. I’ve tried to bring myself to call them. I’ve tried to tell them I’m dying, but I just can’t do it! I haven’t spoken to them in three years! And now I’m expected to tell them I’m dying? I want to believe that by some miracle I might get better, but it’s kind of hard to have faith in something like that when you are bound to a single room! It’s four simple walls! As far as I’m concerned it may as well be a card board box! It leaves me feeling so trapped! These walls slowly close in on me more and more everyday! I’m beginning to forget how to breathe!

I constantly find myself wondering if this life is even worth living anymore! But this isn’t really life, is it? This isn’t living! No matter what my family and friends would like to believe, I’ll be gone soon! As dim as that may seem to you, is it really that bad? The suffering will be done! It’s time for me to go home now! I’m done being miserable! I’m ready to leave this sad place! I’m ready for a real life. I’m going home!

DramaticMegs said...
Apr. 16 at 12:10 pm:
Lovely and well written monologue! Though I do see what the other person meant about the exclamation marks, some were unnecessary. But besides that, I loved it

chtralerzz12 said...
Jan. 15 at 7:36 pm:
Hi! I really like this monologue and I would like to use this for a performance in my theatre class at school. We need to cite the work, so can I please have your last name? And does this character have a name? Thank you so much!

eternalTulip said...
Nov. 9, 2012 at 11:18 am:
this is overdramatic and has way too many exclamtion points.     !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Katie1234 replied...
Jan. 23, 2013 at 3:43 pm :
Thank you for taking to time to critique my piece. I would greatly appreciate it if you would be more specific.   Thank you!

amb123 said...
i really liked your monologue . do you have anymore monologues? . perphas one cancer related ? i will audition to this monologue, let see how it goes...

Katie1234 replied...
Dec. 15, 2012 at 2:27 pm :
I have a few. What exactly are you looking for? 

Katie1234 replied...
Dec. 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm :
I do apologize for such a late reply.

xLiveLoveMusic said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 10:22 am:
hi there. Im using this piece for a drama competition, and I need your last name. It is for competition purposes only I promise. Just need to give you credit for your work. Thank you.

Katie1234 replied...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 4:05 pm :
I do not have a problem with you using this. I am actually quite honored. However, there are a lot of creeps in this world. Certainly you can understand the dilemma with placing my name on a public site. I will post it at the end of this comment, but it will be deleted in 24 hours. I hope you get it for your competition in time.

xLiveLoveMusic replied...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm :
Thank you!

Padfoot518 said...

you commented on something of mine so I decided to check out some of the things you wrote and this one particularly caught my eye because my grandma is currently dying of cancer. It's a matter of days now.

I don't know if you're writing from expirience or something inspired you, but I really like this. Whenever I write things about my grandma (to be posted soon, hopefuly) I give them a sad tone. But this to me seems like anger and I really like your different approach. Yo... (more »)

Katie1234 replied...
Sept. 15, 2011 at 7:46 am :

Thank you very much. I wrote when members of my family passed away from cancer. I was so sick of everyone else complaining, when they still had a life ahead of them. 

Thank you for taking the time to comment on this.

LadyButtercup replied...
Dec. 15, 2012 at 5:14 pm :
Katie, Very nice work. One of my good friends just found out her grandmother has stage 3 lung cancer. So this was even more understandable to me.  This was very raw, you could feel the pain. So touching. Thank you for sharing this with us all.