Sweetest Girl | Teen Ink

Sweetest Girl

By raelynhaha BRONZE, Clintonville, New York
raelynhaha BRONZE, Clintonville, New York

I’m Mason Joshua Plough. A 5 foot 6 inches 121 pound 16 year old still in school. I’ve got dirty blond hair like my mom, and blue eyes like my dad. I wish I could say that my life is perfect, but trust me it’s far from it. I’m a fairly skinny kid with a baby face and a great natural tan that I must say I’m proud to have, living in Florida with no tan that just wouldn’t be right. I didn’t always live in Florida though, I was born in Syracuse New York on January 26, the day right before my dad’s birthday. I can honestly say that my dad is my biggest influence and hero in my life. I think part of the reason we became so close is the fact that I’m diabetic just like him. When I was 12 years old I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes just like my dad. I know in a sense he feels like it’s his fault he tells me all the time that he blames himself, but I know it’s not his fault, it’s just something that you can’t help so I’m going to have to live with it for the rest of my life; I don’t put any blame on him what so ever.

My family means the world to me I have no idea what I’d do without them. I have three brothers and two sisters at my mom’s and at my dad’s, a baby sister and two brothers. School is probably considered to be the worst thing in the world to me, I’m not book smart at all and I don’t have much common sense. I must say though, I’m very good with computers. If I had to describe myself in one word it would be my worst trait too a flirt. Half the time I don’t realize I’m flirting but what can I say? I get it from my dad. I get made fun of at times, but I’m usually as nice as can be. I guess I’ve got this kind of girly voice, but my girl friend thinks it’s the cutest thing in the world.

Enough about me though, I’ll move on to my lady friend. Her name is Kassie and she’s gorgeous! She has the most gorgeous smile, amazing blue eyes, and bright blonde hair. She makes me smile so easily, almost as if she doesn’t even have to try to, it comes naturally. In my eyes, she’s perfect; I just wish I could be the perfect boyfriend that I know she deserves.

This whole thing with her and I started out when we became best friends in like fourth grade. I was always flirty towards her which must have given her the impression that I liked her, I guess I did though I just didn’t realize it until around ninth grade. My ex-girl friend Ally and I had just broken up. I felt like I was completely in love with her, but hey, I guess things just change. You know what I mean? I couldn’t even give my best friend Jess a hug without her breaking up with me, some days; I thought Ally was crazy and a major b****. Anyway, when ally and I broke up, I didn’t even want to go to school the next day but my dad made me. Trust me, a 6 foot 178 pound guy who’s built and not to mention a cop, is pretty intimidating.

When I got to school and walked into my class, I put my head down on my desk and said nothing, but Kassie could tell something was wrong. I wasn’t myself and that was one thing that she could and still can point out. She knows when I’m upset, she knows me more than I know myself half the time. She came right over to me at my desk and gave me a big hug which in all honesty, it put a smile on my face, my first smile since the day before. I told her everything, why and how Ally and I broke up. I did feel bad though, because I could tell it upset Kassie. I knew she liked me, but it was good to talk to someone about it. During that whole set Kassie kept saying and doing anything just to make me smile, and believe me boy oh boy did it work. That girl put a smile on my face like it was the forth of July cause my face just lit right up.

For the next few months Kassie and I started talking a lot, and our friendship, it just grew and grew. I felt different about her, it wasn’t just this best friend thing anymore my real feelings for her were beginning to show, and I wasn’t stopping them. It was Valentine’s Day and Kassie and I had big plans to hangout, but what she didn’t know was that I had a huge surprise for her. I sent her a bear and about eight carnations to her in school. “Where are we going?” she asked me.

My dad was driving and we were sitting in the back seat, I turned to her, flashed my big white smile and said “what movie do you want to see?”

She smiled at me with that cute smile that turns her cheeks red when she gets nervous or excited, “I wanna see the Lovely Bones” she told me. I smiled at her cause I remember her going on and on everyday about how badly she wanted to see that movie. I said nothing, but I reached over and held her hand. She smiled at me, which made me smile even more. When we got into the movie, it was silent just like every movie would be, and during the movie when I looked down her hand was on mine with her head resting on my shoulder. First instinct came to my mind put your arm around her dumb a**. I smiled to myself and did just that. Its like I had my own Jiminy cricket on my shoulder. After the movie when we were walking through the parking lot to my dad’s car I stopped her just before we got to it. “What’s wrong?” Kassie asked.

I pulled the necklace out of my pocket and smiled at her. Her face lit up as I grabbed her hand, “will you be my girl friend Kassandra Johnson?” she smiled even more when I asked her, she hugged me and as I hugged back I smiled so big and said “I take that as a yes?”

She pulled away and smiled at me, “Of course that’s a yes”. It was the happiest that I had been in a long while and the fact that she said yes made me even happier. Three months had gone by and Kassie and I were on cloud nine together, until I decided to be stupid and mess up by talking to my ex and deciding to let her back into my life. I kept telling Kassie that even though Ally and I were talking, I still wouldn’t leave her for Ally, wrong. With my lack of common sense, me and Ally got together again. I knew in my mind though that it wouldn’t last, I think it was more of wanting closure than anything. I just needed to know that being with Kassie was 100 percent right for me and within the first 2 weeks of Ally and I dating, I realized just that.

Things weren’t the same, they weren’t the way that they used to be, I didn’t feel the same, she didn’t make me smile, I felt like part of me was missing and I knew what that part was, Kassie. I never stopped talking to Kassie though, even if she did hate me, I didn’t want to give her up and I realized that I had made the biggest mistake ever! I told Kassie how I felt, how I loved her, how every single day I fell more and more in love with her. I missed her and there was no hiding that fact. I’d walk into a room and see her and I just felt weak in the knees, my heart raced, and all I could do was look down with shame. I texted her after school that same day, “I f***ed up” was all that I said. I’m not sure that she completely understood what it meant only because it was just three words, but that’s exactly what I did. I knew I made a mistake, I still know it was a mistake but in a sense I feel like it needed to be done.

In order for me to move on, I needed closure with Ally, and closure is exactly what I got, because the next day after admitting to Kassie that I messed up, I broke up with her. News of that traveled around the halls of Camdon High so fast it wasn’t even funny. In that school, nobody can do, say, or know anything without the whole entire school knowing. I sat in my usual seat in Algebra, right next to Kassie. I felt like she hated me because she gave me a look, not a nice look, but just a plain cold look. I looked down, and said nothing. After class I practically ran after her in the hall way to catch up to her before she went to lunch. “Kassie!” I yelled.

Her head turned around as I kept running to her, and she stopped walking. I was out of breath but managed to get out “I gotta talk to you; its really important please just let me talk to you.”

She looked at me with her bitter look, “What Mason?”

“I know I messed up, I admit that I messed up. And you can hate me if you want because I truly wouldn’t blame you. I would hate me to. I’d never want to talk to me again but please Kassie give me another chance. I’ll do anything. I’ll do absolutely anything you want me to. I needed closure with Ally and I got it. The way I feel about her, its not the same, I swear to god its nothing compared to my feelings for you. Because when I look at you, my heart races, my knees get weak, hell I hardly even know what to say when I’m around you half the time. But please Kassie, just one more chance. I love you and I miss you so much. I can make all of this up to you.” It all came out and when I did it was like word vomit, I couldn’t shut up! I so thought that she would look at me like I was an idiot or something but to my surprise, she teared up and hugged me.

“I can’t hate you Mason, its impossible.” She hugged me tighter when I hugged her and she cried on my shoulder.

“I just need one more chance, that’s all that I’m asking for.”

She sighed as she wiped tears from her face, “ok” she said “but I need to learn to trust you again, this is all going to take time.” I knew she was right and I completely understood that she didn’t trust me because well, I wouldn’t trust me either. We started talking the way that we used to and hangouts with us became an everyday thing, it was almost like we were dating again which we practically were in my eyes. After a month and a half Kassie was mine again, it felt right, I was on cloud nine. Actually no, I was way above cloud nine, there’s nothing better in this world than just telling every one that Kassandra Nicole Johnson is my girl.

It had been three months now and not a single fight between Kassie and I had gone on, Knock on wood, I said to myself. In a sense it felt like this was too good to be true, I mean no couple is perfect right? Not even Kassie and me. Whenever she and I are going strong there is always someone or something that gets in the way, just like this time and every other. When I was walking to my class after leaving Kassie at hers, my friend Trevor came up to me and told me how he heard that Kassie was flirting with some guy in biology. I was raged I guess you could say, less than furious, but more than mad. I walked into my class after punching a locker right outside it, I don’t know what came over me because I’ve never been this upset about something like this. After thinking about it in class all set I realized I wasn’t mad, I was upset. I was holding back tears the whole set just praying that it wasn’t true.

As soon as I walked out of my class I bolted to Kassie’s and waited outside for her. “Were you flirting with Colton?”

She looked at me like I was retarded, “Mason what the hell are you talking about?”

I looked at her and said, “Someone told me you two were flirting. It’s a yes or no question Kassie; don’t beat around the bush with it.”

I knew that just by the look she gave me, I really shouldn’t have been that big of an a** about it, I could’ve been way calmer and civil about it. “Don’t talk to me like I’m retarded Mason.” She said to me with her big “bad” attitude “And no, I wasn’t flirting with him a**hole, I’m not the flirt in this relationship, I can stick with one person un-like you.”

“Wow. Oh my God Kassie are you serious right now! All I did was ask you a simple question and you’re being all mean to me! Last time I ever ask you before accusing.”

She could tell I was mad, “This is a huge mess, Kassie I’m sorry. I just wanted to make sure that you didn’t before I actually said that you did.”

She gave me a sad look when she went to hug me and said, “But I wouldn’t do that, I swear I wouldn’t. I’m sorry for being b****y to you”. In her voice, it sounded like she was about to cry which made me feel horrible about what had happened. I hugged her tighter then let loose and put my arm around her to walk down to lunch with her. When we were standing in line for lunch she kept close to me and I held her hand the whole time, and when we got to the table, I still kept my arm around her. There’s nothing that I hate more than fighting with the girl I love; I hate it even more than school. After lunch, when we were talking to my locker I wrapped my arm around her and she smiled; I smiled back and kissed her cheek.

"Sweetest girl" is a fictional story that i created for a creative writting class.