in too deep

Here comes that car again. Same familiar screech of the brakes by the not-so-sober man. Same familiar slam of the car door as he stumbles out. And his polite little knock on our front door? Yeah, that phony gesture is familiar, too. This whole scene is déjà vu ×1000, considering this has been the norm for over 8 months. Maybe if I listen really closely, I’ll hear him breathing this time. It’s only happened twice before, yet it is still something that I take interest in catching the sound of. That raspy inhale…too many Pall Malls I suppose. And there goes my mom, falling for it every time with fingers crossed behind her back hoping that he’s changed. But the same disappointment is still at our doorstep. Nothing is different about him, except maybe a new shirt, but that’s highly doubtful. Even from up here I can smell the Jack Daniel’s. What does she see in him? Is it the lack of employment? The constant belittling? The fear of not knowing what will happen when he comes home? The bruises? The pain? The tears? I know, maybe it’s his smile. I mean, who doesn’t love a guy with pearly yellows? And there’s only a few missing…charming, huh? If only there was someone to write LOVE on her arms. Someone to show her true love, and treat her like she’s important. Someone to tell her that she isn’t crazy, and that she’s beautiful on the inside and out. I hate to see her like this. Thick layers of make-up covering the damage of a drunk man; thick layers of bandages covering helpless wrists that have been decorated with a razor; thick dosages of pills attempting to cover unending depression. Why does she do this to herself? Why can’t she just up and leave him already? She says it’s not that easy. She says he’s gonna change. But sadly, I don’t see that happening.

cristi.This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
thank you everyone!

OpalFlame said...
this really made me stop and think. i love the way i can step into your shoes, and feel the sadness you feel. great job.. please keep writing(:

TrulieThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
excellent! i think we can all relate to this... i see someone who isn't with the right person but deserves someone better and they don't realize it.

A.C.Worsham said...
Dec. 12, 2010 at 7:20 am:
This was very good I thought. You could feel the annoyance and anger the girl felt. Her sarcasm is evident. And when she talks about her mom, it really just makes you want to shake her and say "Leave the man." Idk, it was really good though.

LastChapter said...
Dec. 12, 2010 at 12:08 am:
a very insightful, moving description of the view from a desperate child helplessly watching her mother throw her life away for a man she knows is trash. its sad, but that's what made it great.

DawnMarie said...
This was very emotional...and it made me feel so sad. But very well written, and you really know how to create a mood for a piece of writing.