Born to sing | Teen Ink

Born to sing

By Breskix3 BRONZE, New Yokr, New York
Breskix3 BRONZE, New Yokr, New York

I'm startin' to feel like a dungeon dragon.
Raah, raah, like a dungeon dragon- nicki minaj

Born to sing

Here I was in front of thousands of people getting ready to sing. My hands were sweating and white from gripping the microphone to tight. My stomach hurt. My heart was pounding, I wanted to throw up. I’ve wanted this my whole life, to sing and get over my fear of stage fright. But that was just a dream. My names Maria Garcia; and if you haven’t noticed I love to sing.

I’m pretty shy, and I hate to be the center of attention. The only time I sing is in the shower, or in my room with hairbrush. No one ever hears me sing because I’m scared they’ll judge me, and think I’m a bad singer. I don’t even let my mom hear me, even though she’ll say I’m good.
My two best friends know my passion for singing, but I refuse to sing in front of them. But today I think everyone knows how I sing now. It was 3rd period science, and my favorite song popped into my head. So at first I was humming, and before I knew it I was just singing out loud. It was so embarrassing, because I apparently jumped out my chair and started dancing too.
My teacher called my name after a while, and I immediately sat down, realizing the whole class was laughing at me, except for my two best friends, Christian, and Caitlin. They just started and smiled, which made me feel more embarrassed. I never wanted to sing in front of two, let alone thirty people.
After class I tried to avoid my friends, but that wasn’t possible. Christian and Caitlyn appeared right next to me at my locker. “Maria you were so good!” “Why didn’t you tell us you could sing like that?” the questions and comments charged at me. I didn’t know how to answer. “Umm… well… I don’t know.” My face was getting hot, I knew I was blushing.
“Well you were awesome.” Christian said. “Oh my god. Maria look!” Caitlyn exclaimed pointing to a flyer. “You should sign up.” Christian looked at me. I looked closer to the flyer which read:
TRY OUT FOR OUR SINGING

CONTEST! THE FINAL WINNERS SING

IN THE SCHOOL TALENT SHOW! TODAY

3:30pm IN THE GYM.
“No, I’m… no I’m so not signing up. Just… no.” my voice was lost; I couldn’t find the words to describe how i didn’t want to sing. “Well I’m signing you up” Caitlyn said pulling out a pen and signing my name in cursive. “I’m not going to be there.” I walked away from the sign up sheet. “I don’t understand why your making me sing.” I dropped my bag next to the table, and sat down.

“Probably because you’re a good singer and they can’t say no!” Christian stated. “Fine! I’ll audition, but watch they are not going to say I’m a finalist.” I sighed I wanted to be a singer my whole life since I could remember, but I know that I’m not going to be able to do it. Especially sing in front of half the school, and some parents. “Well Maria I’ll meet you at the gym at 3:30pm” Caitlyn said picking up her books and going to class Christian followed.

“Fine” I pouted talking to myself while picking up my bag. I headed to my last period. The end of the day came by quick. I dreaded for the clock to hit 3:30pm but of course time has to go on. My feet dragged as I walked down the stairs to the gym. By the time I got there Caitlyn was waiting.

“A few more people have going to already, and only two more people before you.” Caitlyn said smiling at me. “Here” I handed her my iPod, I’m singing “Born to Sing” by Sarah McCarthy. In my opinion it was a good song, and it was the first song I ever learned to sing.

“Maria Garcia” a lady called out my name. I grabbed my iPod and followed the lady into the gym. “Good luck!” I heard Caitlyn call after me. “Here you go.” I handed the lady my iPod and stood a few feet away from her table. “Born to sing” flowed through the speakers once the lyrics started; my mouth opened and I sang the exact same words Sarah sang.

When the song finished, the lady smiled. “You are a terrific singer.” She handed me my iPod I sighed knowing I didn’t get it. “And that’s why you made it.” The lady said. Ah. Thank you!” I hugged the lady and ran out the gym. “Caitlyn I made it.” I shrieked hugging her. “I told you, you could do it!” Caitlyn squealed

The talent show was only a week away. So everyday after school, I was practicing, “Born to Sing” with Caitlyn. She helped me work on my high pitches and low pitches and after I while I got it.

Friday. Today was Friday. Meaning today was the talent show. I wore this white dress with a black belt right above my belly button. I also had on these white flats with bows on the sides. I waited back stage. Christian and Caitlyn were in the audience with my mom. I was next.

One of the back stage workers handed me a microphone. I gripped it so tight my hands turned white. My stomach was turning, my heart was pounding. My hands started to sweat, my dream was coming true. As I walked on the stage, I saw all these people staring at me. I can’t do this I thought, but I couldn’t move my feet were nailed to the floor.

“Born to sing” came on, my mouth was dry. I started to sing and I looked into the crowd, at my mom. She was crying. Caitlyn and Christian were smiling, and cheering me on. Aftyer a while I wasn’t nervous anymore. I sang my heart out nailing m,y highs and lows.

When the song finished the crowd burst out into a round of applause. I got off the stage and met up wit my friends and my mom. “You were great.” Christian hugged me, then Caitlyn. Lastly my mom hugged me. “You really were born to sing” she whispered in my ear.

Well i love to sing and my friends always want me to try out in a talent show, but i dont have the guts, so i wrote a story about someone who can overcome there fear.

Breskix3 BRONZE, New Yokr, New York

I want to thank everyone who viewed my story. I'm a 13 year old girl, and this means so much to me. I never thought this story would get a 4/5 Thank you guys so much

Breskix3 BRONZE, New Yokr, New York

i posted a complaint box, i dont know if youll like it.

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

You're welcome!

Breskix3 BRONZE, New Yokr, New York

Thank you so mcuh. It was a writing assaigment and my teacher wanted me to post it

Healing_Angel SILVER, Sydney, Other

Live for today, not for tomorrow

This is really well written: Honest and to the point. I lov e the emotion in this! Well done!

Very inspiring article! I would really love to hear more from you, awesome job!