Writer's Block

A blank page stares up at me, blue lines glaringly sharp. The red margin drips like blood down the paper. My pen, dry, of course, hovers threateningly, before falling to the desk.

I’m told I now have twenty minutes left to write my “original story” for the School Certificate trial English exam. Distracted, I look up from the paper in front of me and watch as the second hand ticks on, slowly erasing the precious minutes I have left. This story will be marked by someone who does not know me and so I want it to be good. I don’t want to write the usual boring stuff written by my peers. I know I can do better than that, I just have to think! I’m running out of time. I have already wasted more than half my time desperately trying to write the first sentence.

I'm never going to write a good story in time!

I run my eyes over the question again, desperately hoping it will bring some small spark of inspiration. It doesn’t. I glance up at the clock again. 10 minutes. Desperation, mixed with resentment flows through my veins, and I begin to hate whoever thought of the idea of writing a story. I thought it would be easy, but I never realized how hard it would be under a time limit! A sudden burst of inspiration finally fits me and I breathe a sigh of relief. I spend another precious minute lost in thought.

Suddenly, the blank page looks inviting, its lines made of fluffy blue and pink cotton clouds. My pen flies across them, pausing only to dot 'i's and cross the 't's.

I manage to finish with five minutes left. Taking a deep breath and hoping I’ve done as well as I think, I hand in my paper to the supervising teacher. She files it away amongst all the others.

I smile, relieved it’s finally over. Now all I have is my Science exam to do then I’m free!

As I pack up, I wonder what the marker's reaction will be. I hope they give me a decent mark! The story isn’t my best, but I bet none of my year wrote about a witch who gets airsick! They might not like it, but they can't take off points for originality!

mattisonteeter said...

The last few lines made me laugh :)

I liked it I can relate to that situation and you're feelings while experiencing that.

Love.Hate.Passion. said...

This is nicely written , and you have little mistakes and errors. I like how you described the paper coming to life, and it was a relatable piece.

Great Job!

StrangeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is really well-written and I especially liked the way you described the paper – going from a bleeding red margin to fluffy clouds. Also, I appreciate the idea about a witch who gets airsick. :)

Ellawind said...
Completely relatable and funny. nice work!

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Great job! I liked it. Would you mind reading my poem The True Meaning of Writer's Block? Thanks! :)

BroadwayBaby said...
I absolutely LOVE this! The only thing is, I wish it had been a little longer and I had seen a bit more struggle. I would totally read something like this as I can relate to it my self. I especially loved the line about dotting the i's and crossing the t's. Good job! Very good!

AsIAm This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Ahh, the bane of every writer's existence. :)  I love it!  I especially like the contrasting symbolism for the blank page - really added a unique touch. :)  There's only one major thing I would change; the time seems to flow unrealistically.  The way you put it, it seems like she wrote the whole story in four minutes, after having writers block for over twenty.  Other than that, I like it!  Good job!

AvengedJasonFold said...

Simon Cowell feedback--you asked for it!

I do every review differently--yours by e.m.a.il. Aren't you special? I thought I'd leave this comment in case it boosted your ratings for this article or whatever.

I thought I'd have good intentions for once ;P

the_dreamer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
ahaha! I like the airsick part too, it's brilliant! :) very good description of how writer's block looks and feels on the paper!!!

ForeverFelix said...
Haha Angel, this made me laugh. "A witch who gets airsick..." hehe. Good job =)

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
It's true. I really have written a story about a witch who gets airsick! It accidently got deleted though... :( I'm glad you liked it! :D It means a lot! I wasn't sure what people's reactions would be.