It's Only a Nightmare | Teen Ink

It's Only a Nightmare

By dreamxandxlive BRONZE, Farmingdale, New York
dreamxandxlive BRONZE, Farmingdale, New York

“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” - (Epicurus)

As she stood in the mirror tracing the scar on her stomach, instantaneously she felt a wave of regret. She wondered how she let this happen. It was just one night, one absurd night. She was the star of the high school basketball team, valedictorian and always the life of the party.

It’s only a nightmare.

As she stood in the mirror gawking at her vacant blue eyes she flashed back to that night. She recalled the party, the dancing. It was all in good fun. She didn’t think anything of it. It was just for amusement and satisfaction, where did it go wrong. This was only a nightmare.

It’s only a nightmare.

As she stood in the mirror digesting the new found pain that lay behind the beauty and make-up she contemplated on her future. She had it all figured out. She was going to attend an Ivy League school and live as an influential lawyer. But her dreams are now nothing but a distant concept.

It’s only a nightmare.

As she stood in the mirror she acknowledged a nightmare. She just wanted to experience a college party. She just wanted some extra attention. She just wanted someone to love her, if only for a night. She became inferior and her body was overtaken with numbness. There was no turning back.

It’s reality.