It's Back

Jessie walks into the room with tear stained cheeks. Which is odd because i've never seen her cry a day in my life. We have worked together for twelve years now. long enough to quit Burger King together and get a job at Food Lion. Long enough to get tired of that and get our RN so we can work at the hospital together. She wals up to me holding a stick with a plus sign on it. I take a minute to ponder the meaning and then i gasp. "Your pregnant!" The one thing you would never expect from a woman who never goes out is for her to get knocked up. "Who?" i ask trying to calm down. She sighs and motions over her shoulder to Dr. Pelowsky. The creep saw her and winked, how could she fall for him? She doesnt look like she is going to be able to talk anytime soon. "Come with me to my docter, i need company for this stupid exam." She nods obiediantly and we leave together for the sixth floor. Mandatory check ups, im going for the whole shebang. I hate cat scans and MRI's. We arrive and she sniffles and walks over to a corner trying to be invisible. I endure the pointless check up in silence. When it's over i drive Jessie home. She takes two weeks off work, i guess she is pondering life. we agree to meet up at the end of her break and go back to the doctors office together. She will get a test done and i will ge tmy stupiid results.
Two Weeks Later...
Jessie looks excited, she took another test and it was negative. Maybe she isnt pregnant from the sleeze ball after all. We go to our seperate rooms. I can hear her pacing through the wall. A doctor i dont recognize comes in and he is frowning. I try to mentally sound out his name and fail miserably. "Hi Karen, im Dr. Zolonski. Your MRI tests came back and i have some bad news. We found some spots, we think they may be tumors." I freeze, i cant say a thing. "We are going to run some more tests on you but i'm almost positive it's cancer. Your records say you had cancer as a baby? We think this may be the same thing. Im so sorry." He leaves the room and Jessie runs in. Now it's my turn to cry, i run my hand along my scalp tracing the scar that has been with me since i was a child. "Karen! Im not pregnant! Isn't that great? I mean can you imagine if i had a baby with that guy? Ugh! Hey are you okay?" I fail at lifting my head up so i just mumble, "I have brain tumors, they think it's the same kind of cancer i had when i was little. My old doctor said if they came back it would be fatal." Jessie's smile was frozen on her face, now it crumpled. We cried together like that for over an hour.

One Year Later...
"Karen honey how are you feeling?" The doctors question has a point to it im sure. How am i feeling? I dont have any hair my best friends getting married. I am in qite a conflicting mood right now. "Im feeling great Doc." I smile widely to bakc up my lie. "Thats good becaus ei have some great news for you, the chemo worked. Your tumors are gone you are cancer free!" I smile widely and start to cry. It only took me a year to get rid of the tumors that were all over my brain. Jessie is marrying Dr. Pelowski and now i will live to see the wedding. Life once sucked, but now it's looking up.

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nice job! It all happens really fast though... Try to flesh it out a bit.

echome94 replied...
Yeah i know, i saw that after i submitted it. Thank You for reading, i'll work on spreading my work out a little more.

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 14, 2010 at 2:43 am
It's OK. It's a really good plot line though! Great job! :)