Dear Sarah | Teen Ink

Dear Sarah

By enchanted BRONZE, Vallonia, Indiana
enchanted BRONZE, Vallonia, Indiana

Dear Sarah,

I thought about you today. I remembered our childhood. We weren’t normal little girls by any means. Instead of putting diapers on our baby dolls, we got the diapers all wet with water and played with the ‘icicle poop’ inside. We used to play house under that big tree on the playground at school, only instead of playing Mommy and Baby, we pretended we were pirates or spies on a secret mission.

In 1st grade you hated me, neither of us can remember why now. In 2nd grade we were best friends and you stood up for me when Desiree called me a crybaby. In 3rd grade you were convinced I stole your crossword puzzle book so you told everyone I was a thief. When you found the book at your house and realized I had never taken it, you told everyone I was the nicest person you knew and we were friends again. In 4th grade I stood up for you when no one wanted to be your friend anymore because you were kidding when you told them your Dad was a real Indian Chief,. He’s really a deadbeat and we all know it.

In 6th grade you got your period first out of anyone in our class. We were really scared to death but played it off that you were the first REAL woman in the 6th grade. In 7th grade I had my first crush and when he didn’t like me back you held my hand and hugged me while I cried. In 8th grade we had the time of our lives. We went to Washington DC with our class of 18 kids and had so much fun none of us wanted to come back when we had to leave. I still remember every one of our crazy antics on the trip. Between the Hobo Show, Zeke on the Metro, and Chadwick’s Restaurant how could I forget?

I remember the 8th grade graduation ceremony when I bawled my eyes out, but you weren’t Order of Words (consider revising) comfort me because we were in a fight. I’m not exactly sure anymore, but I think I had been kidding around one day when you were gone from school and said that Chad asked me out. He didn’t and never will and you couldn’t believe I would joke about that. Then I had to miss your birthday party and we didn’t talk for 2 months. I never wanted to see you again and I didn’t think you did either. But halfway through the summer you texted me and apologized for everything. We were best friends again within the day and caught up on everything. I was so relieved I wanted to cry.

Then our first year of high school started. The first day of school we were so nervous we were shaking. We were nervous that for the first time in our lives we wouldn’t be in every class together. All we had was Ms. Workman and we bonded over her. She is a little crazy but I love her because she brought me closer to you.

Every time I remember Mrs. Harrison I laugh because you were terrified of her. Every day in her class I would pass you notes but you didn’t pass them back because you didn’t want to get in trouble. To this day I know Mrs. Harrison would never yell at me. I’m her favorite student.

Passing Periods were a ball, especially in the morning. When you, I, Carly, Diane, Alex, and Millie are all crowded around my locker there is absolutely no way Jansen can get through to his locker. But really we’re all okay with that. Especially after what he did to Carly.

When we found out that Carly was moving to North Dakota, we cried together and when she really did leave you comforted me. She is one of my best friends and North Dakota is a long way off. I miss her so much sometimes it hurts.

I’m never going to forget all of our inside jokes. I’m always going to love William Mosely, Strawberry Poptarts, and Hobos. I’m pretty sure that Workman still thinks I stole my Mom’s comb. She was always creeping on our conversations. I’ll always remember when you had to stand on my backpack to smash all my books in. You always said I was too wise for my age and too smart for my own good. You called me crazy when I signed up for Algebra 2 Honors and Geometry Honors and when I got them assigned in back to back class periods you laughed. Only before stressing out about it with me about how hard it would be.

Remember all the years we went to camp together? Two years ago was the best. We had Wyandotte for our family cabin. They were amazing. They beat us in Mud Pit but only barely and they let us be in their trophy picture with them. When we stole their trophy and made them sing to get it back, they stole Carlton the Ottawa Gnome and made us sing a love song as Ransom. The year following we both had crushes on Wyandotte boys. When Rick faked me out (like the jerk he is I might add) you sympathized with me and plotted out revenge. Even though you knew I would never agree to carry it out. When you and Jackson started becoming close friends I encouraged you to tell him how you really feel. You never did because you were too insecure, no matter how many times I told you you’re beautiful and wonderful.

This year we had a ton of fun at camp too. We met Sprout who is amazing (and not just because she pees out of her belly button) and we met all of the wonderful Munsee ladies. I was in the same boat this year when I met Terry and was too shy to tell him how I felt, even after camp. Shane the creeper scared the crap out of both of us. When we saw Jenna I thought you were gonna pee your pants. I know how much you miss her, I miss her too.

The first day that the Taylor Swift CD came out you went and bought us both copies so we could listen to it before all of our friends. And when we got permission to go to the Selena Gomez concert I bought us the tickets the day they went on sale, even though I knew they wouldn’t sell out.

You supported me in cheerleading even though it takes so much time away from the time we could spend together. You support me no matter what it is that I ever want to do. Even if it’s a terrible idea, and you can’t talk me out of it. You badmouth anyone who badmouths me like a true friend does, and I do the same for you. You could probably convince me to do anything; you always had the talent of making a terrible idea sound great. That’s one of the reasons I love you.

When Zack stood you up, I remember letting you cry on my shoulder even though I knew all along he was a bad egg. When we didn’t have lunch together anymore, we were both devastated because we had to sit with people we barely knew. The first 2 trimesters when we all had lunch together were the best, We had so many people at our table, we had to steal other people’s chairs, and Thomas always stole mine back.

IRT was only fun because we had it together. Otherwise it would have been pure misery. Riding the bus together was always entertaining to say the least, even though I hate buses with a passion. When Quinten was creeping on me before the Winter Dance you helped me steer clear of him the entire night. For that I am eternally grateful. When we used to have our song lyrics battles, we would literally race to our lockers to give each other the notes, no one understood why it was so fun, except for us.

The bottom line is you are my best friend. I will love you forever. You are a beautiful person inside and out. I miss you so much, and I still cry all the time, I know you would want me to move on and be happy so that’s what I am trying to do. For your family as much as for myself. I know I will never truly be able to forgive the other driver, but I will try. This isn’t the end; I will see you on the other side. Always remember that forever has no end. I’m going to leave this letter on your grave and try to move on. Just know I will never forget you. Bye Sarah.

Love you like a sister,

Foreve_ and Always,

Samantha

This piece was inspired by my best friend. No she didn't really die. But what if she had??

enchanted BRONZE, Vallonia, Indiana
Sorry for the 4th paragraph where it says "Order of Words (consider revising)" something on my spell check must have messed up... Its supposed to say "But you weren't there to comfort me..." :)

enchanted BRONZE, Vallonia, Indiana
Thanks so much! I had a lot of fun writing this. And I have a feeling that we will :)

on Nov. 7 2010 at 11:26 am
thestorycritic GOLD, Hyderabad, Other

Live life King Size

Awwwww!!!! I love this!! It reminded me of my times with my best friends too!! :) It's really really well written.

I hope you and Sarah remain like this forever and never let any thing come between you guys :)